Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Should The Ryder Cup Qualifying Be Change?

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 31st Aug 2010 06:51 | Last Reply

Listening to the radio last night and I'm sure it is Luke Donald who is saying the Ryder Cup qualification system is not fair for the European players who are based in America.

Is he correct?

When the Ryder Cup was first started there were no world golfers, you either played in Europe or you played in the USA.

With the way people can travel vast distances today it does appear to me that maybe the system should be changed to allow for the best players to qualify, no matter which tour they play on.

I'm not sure if a new system had been used that Paul Casey or Justin Rose would have got into the team, but it does seem wrong that the World number nine and a player who won back to back on the US tour cannot make it into the team.

The Ryder Cup team should be the best players from Europe but finding a system to enable this to happen could take a while!

Russ

re: Should The Ryder Cup Qualifying Be Change?
user16163
Reply : Tue 31st Aug 2010 09:26

i think it should be just the top 12 players on the tour then there would be no moaning with the captains picks

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 31st Aug 2010 09:32

Personally for me Russ, No I don't think it should be changed.

It's been the same for years and o.k like this year some of Europes best players arn't in the team but that has been there choice.

Players know what they have to do every Ryder Cup year and I'm sure if Casey and Rose wanted to be in the team they could have easily played a few more qualifying events to make sure they were there.

I agree that the European tour is very much more worldwide now, but the start of points qualifying started way back in in September 09 so a lot of the chances to get points are played around the world.

But it's been done and lets get behind the boys and hope they bring the trophey home!!!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 31st Aug 2010 11:08

Monty got 3 picks this time (been two before) so it meant an uneven split between WGR and European Money List (4 - 5).

Two years ago, who would have thought that a European Player sat at World No 9 wouldn't be in the FOUR from that list?

Everytime the Ryder Cup comes around, there is a debate on how the Team is selected. Monty wanted it this way for him, and being Capt should have that option.

The way the WGR points are worked out for each Tournament makes it possible for a Player based in the US to gain more points over a Player playing in Europe the same week. In 2009 one European won in Europe and another finished 3rd in a PGA Tour event. The guy finishing 3rd overtook the other guy in The WGR Rankings.

At the end of the day, if a Player on the fringe really wants his place, he can do something about it. Casey, Rose, Donald & Harrington didn't and chose to await Monty's pick. Jimenez went to Gleneagles and missed a family wedding to cement his place.

I think the only thing that may get changed is the fact Gleneagles clashed with the 1st round of the FedEx. Europes last qualifying event may be moved in two years time because more of our possible Team may be playing in the US then and because its the turn of the US to host The Cup.

TheLyth 

user127691
Reply : Wed 1st Sep 2010 10:07

As I said in an ealry post the sytem is flawed for me this is PGA v European tour it's europe vs America and if a european is playing all his golf in america like Justin Rose then he shouldn't be penalised.

This is only going to get compounded, the best route for the majority of our top young amatuers is to go and play college golf in america. These younger players won't be eligible to play eurpean tour events but because they are collegit golfers in america will get sponors exemptions and qualifiying points for PGA events and evetually end up on the PGA tour.  This in my eyes will increase the quality of britsh golfers but weakent the strength of the Ryder cup team.

Why should Justin Rose have to spend 8 months of the year away from his family and children to qualify before peolpe he is clearly better than. I woudn't risk losing nearly a year of my childrens life to try and qualify for something that is not guranteed.

user127691
Reply : Wed 1st Sep 2010 10:09

As I said in an ealry post the sytem is flawed for me this is not PGA tour v European tour it's europe vs America and if a european is playing all his golf in america like Justin Rose then he shouldn't be penalised, by penalising him you are only weakening the team.

This is only going to get compounded, the best route for the majority of our top young amatuers is to go and play college golf in america. These younger players won't be eligible to play eurpean tour events but because they are collegit golfers in america will get sponors exemptions and qualifiying points for PGA events and evetually end up on the PGA tour.  This in my eyes will increase the quality of britsh golfers but weakent the strength of the Ryder cup team.

Why should Justin Rose have to spend 8 months of the year away from his family and children to qualify before peolpe he is clearly better than. I woudn't risk losing nearly a year of my childrens life to try and qualify for something that is not guranteed.

Reply : Wed 1st Sep 2010 10:58

The World Golf Ranking that Europes Ryder Cup side is picked from is slightly difference to The Official one posted every Monday.

WGR

3rd WESTWOOD

5th KAYMER

7th McILROY

8th CASEY

11th DONALD

12th POULTER

14th McDOWELL

15th EDUARDO M

19th HARRINGTON

23rd ROSE

RYDER CUP WGR

1st WESTWOOD

2nd KAYMER

3rd McILROY

4th McDOWELL

5th EDUARDO M

6th DONALD

7th HARRINGTON

8th ROSE

So all three Picks are ahead of both Casey and Rose in the European Ryder Cup World Rankings. This should then say they are a better Pick?

TheLyth

user127691
Reply : Thu 2nd Sep 2010 14:13

Lyth your list proves the exact reason the qualifications should be changed Rose, Donald and Harrington should never have been picks they should have been in the team all along.

Then your picks would be out of Poulter, Casey, F Mollinari, Jemenez and Hanson. OK maybe Jemenez might you could argue get the nod over Casey but there is noway any captain is dropping Poulter after last time.

So Hansen misses out and so he should he is the worst player on the list (not a bad player might I add) but better players have missed out because of an outdated qualification system.  

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 2nd Sep 2010 14:23

Gary,

Justin Rose lives with his Family and children in the States, so he's not really missing out on anything?

He chose not to play in any qualifying events just like Luke Donald chose to come over and play in three events to try and qualify. He didn't but got picked on merit and what Monty thinks he will bring to the team.

The system has been in place for many, many years now and players know what they need to do come Ryder Cup year.

Your right in the fact it is a global game now, so spending 2/3 months out of your usual schedule every 2 years is surely no hardship.

Reply : Thu 2nd Sep 2010 17:11

If Casey got the pick and Harrington didn't, a similar number of people would be claiming it is wrong to leave a 3 times Major Champion out.

On the other side of the pond, a guy has done nothing this year, is out of form and needs a Captains Pick. He sits a No 1 in the WGR.

How can you use a system that everyone agrees with. It's impossible.

TheLyth

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 6th Sep 2010 11:36

The system is what it is and for 2010 ALL the players knew what they had to do. So those who stayed away from the European Tour can't really complain.

But, should it be changed in future ?    you can't stop someone playing somewhere else for better weather and money etc 

user43166
Reply : Mon 6th Sep 2010 20:58

The European selection can be debated forever but the US have again stole one on us. Last time they "decided" to go for 3 picks. We missed the boat on that, so, quick of the mark as we are, we go for 3 this year. But hang on, the US decide to now go for 4 picks.

I don't think there is any arguement that the more picks you have, the stronger the team you can put out. If a player is playing well and in the rankings - you will pick him anyway. If they are not playing well, they're out.

On top of this, the US have named their team over a week later than us. 8 days to look at our team and take this into consideration and, if they have any sense, pick players accordingly.

However the teams are selected, one thing needs to be sorted out - the same rules apply to both Europe and the US; and both teams are selected at the same time.

Having said that, I can't wait for it to start and will be glued to the TV cheer on the boys (even if I really don't like Monty)...

Last edit : Mon 6th Sep 2010 20:59

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top