Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing a provisional from a bunker - rule clarification

Posted by: user41897 | Sun 29th Aug 2010 12:49 | Last Reply

Played a shot recently into a bunker (nothing new there) and it lay ok but close to some unraked footprints.  I played the ball but it went into rough.  I exited the bunker and raked it then - as there was a high chance it would be a lost ball - I decided to play a provisional.  I dropped a ball in the bunker where the original ball was but obviously it was onto a area of freshly raked sand and hence was a good lie(?) albeit it deeper in the sand as a result of the drop as opposed to being on the surface from rolling in.  The first ball was subsequently ruled as lost so I continued with the provisional.

So.  Was this correct or not?  Should the bunker be raked before the drop?  Should the ball be dropped or placed?

re: Playing a provisional from a bunker - rule clarification
user41897
Reply : Sun 29th Aug 2010 16:07

It is a puzzler cos the other side of the coin is that if you don't rake the bunker, you would have to drop (or place) the ball in the mess caused by your first shot. On the basis that the bunker should have been in an 'as raked' condition when your ball first went in then I don't think raking the bunker before you re-place your ball should be disallowed.  By the same token - if you are taking another shot (provisional or otherwise) from any place (be-it fairway, rough or bunker) should you not place your ball rather than drop it?

user24437
Reply : Sun 29th Aug 2010 16:09

Glad you got round to asking that one, judging from the puzzled looks from everyone when you'd finished yesterday you aren't the only one curious as to the ruling.

user11501
Reply : Sun 29th Aug 2010 17:18

Rules 13 & 27

Ball hit out of bounds/lost ball

"If you have hit your ball from the bunker out of bounds or to a place where you cannot find it, you have to drop a ball on the spot where the last stroke was played from, with 1 penalty stroke - back into the bunker. However, you are allowed to rake the sand before dropping the ball"

user41897
Reply : Sun 29th Aug 2010 18:48

Cheers martin - should've just checked the rulebook 'suppose!

Still.  Good to know that unknowingly, I acted entirely in accordance with the rulebook.  Conscious clear.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 29th Aug 2010 19:24

The fact that it is a 'Provisional Ball' may change the Ruling Martin. I'll have to check.

If the Ball is Out of Bounds or Lost, no problem, you can rake before dropping a Substitute Ball.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top