Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Just to clarify a rule...

Posted by: user326345 | Thu 26th Aug 2010 13:12 | Last Reply

When lining up your ball on the green, you decided it's ok, picked up the marker and walked away. Then deciding you need to line it up once again due to a miscalculation, you mark it again, adjust the line and walk away again.

I did this before and i was told off by a golfer for cheating because once you walk away, you're not allowed to line it up again. I don't usually line up twice unless it's a really bad miscalculation.

I seem to recall that in the rule book, it states you're allowed to mark it unlimited times but it doesn't say anything about lining up the ball?

Any clarification would be great thanks!

re: Just to clarify a rule...
user249902
Reply : Thu 26th Aug 2010 13:38

JC, I have been informed that you may place your ball as mant times as you wish if the marker is still in place. Once the marker has been lifted you should not remark and replace. Not 100% sure if this is a rule but my dad seems to think it is,

In summary. mark your ball, line up the ball, if not happy reline the ball, then when completely satisfield lift your marker.

re: Just to clarify a rule...
user16163
Reply : Thu 26th Aug 2010 15:43

You can mark the ball as many times as you like, lifting and replacing at the same time should you need to. you can line up as many times as you like

not all golfers line thier ball up some just put it down, but as long as when you remark the ball it is still in the same position as when it was marked then there is no problem at all. i.e marking the ball that many times that each time you do the ball is marked slightly closer to the hole each time. ( keep marking it so eventually all you have is a tap in )

yes you can walk away leaving your marker there, a lot of golfers do this to check they have lined up correctly

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top