Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Weird Things On A Golf Course!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 22nd Aug 2010 20:40 | Last Reply

I'm in Cornwall on holiday and haven't played golf for over a week now.

The other day we went to Newquay for the day and later on in the afternoon I decided that I'd like to go and see the waves at Fiscal Bay (well know surfer's beach).  We have been doing a bit of bodyboarding but the waves have been too small to do it any justice.

On the way from the car park to the beach you walk through Newquay Golf Club.  There is a public footpath right across the course.  But the interesting thing is the footpath has been dug into the course so you are below the level of the fairway.

As I walked along this footpath I was amazed to see some fencing that was at a 45 degree angle and on the side of the footpath that a golfer would be hitting from.  This fence was a normal chainlink fence but had chicken wire put onto it.  Obviously this fence was to protect the general public from the odd poor shot that might be made on the course!

To be honest, the golf course didn't seem to be that good and when I looked they wanted £31 for a round of golf!

Have you seen anything on a golf course that is out of the normal?

Russ

re: Weird Things On A Golf Course!
user52922
Reply : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 20:49

Well, Russ, I have played there and it seemed a very pleasant couurse to play, not too demanding but a nice links. Surprised you say it is in poor condition as it is a very old established club.

user52922
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 09:01

It is a links and they can tend to look a little bit rough, but I would expect the tees and greens to be very good.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 20:30

John, it most certainly is a links course as I walked through it with a fair bit of wind blowing.

I didn't really get close to the greens but could only look from a distance at them.

It was the general look of the course that didn't impress me, but that might be because it is a links course.  I'm not used to playing them so wouldn't know what to expect.

Maybe, just maybe, the next time we come down to Cornwall I'll bring my clubs and have a game there.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top