Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Equitable Score Control

Posted by: user324722 | Sat 21st Aug 2010 16:30 | Last Reply

As a novice I'm trying to get myself a feeling for my handicap, assuming I can play a few rounds even good enough to make a 28 :-)

One thing that is confusing me is equitable score control. I understand that this means for handicapping purposes the max score possible is double bogey, so a 5 on a par 3, 6 on a 4 and 7 on a 5.

However I can't work out what this means for handicap calculation. For arguments sake lets assume my 28 handicap as it stands. Today I hit 95 on a par 65 course, so 2 shots above a 28 handicap. However if I apply ESC to that 95 it comes down to 83, considerably below a 28 handicap and presumably reducing my current 28 handicap by some amount.

Which, if in fact either, of those scores should be used for handicap adjustment?

Cheers

Paddy

re: Equitable Score Control
user127691
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 16:37

You get stopped at max double bogey for original handicapp calculations.

When you have a handicapp you get max 2 shots above your shot allowance for the hole.

user52922
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 16:39

I have never heard of this ESC, Patric, but I always thought that the maxim was nett double bogey, not gross double bogey, so in effect you could have a 9 on a par five if you got 2 shots on that hole.

If I have got all this wrong then I am sure someone will be along to put me right. What a crazy system it is.

user131525
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 16:43

I hope someone can explain Equitable Score Control to me - I've never heard of it!

user131525
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 18:37

If you're talking about a maximum of net double bogeys for handicap purposes then you're right.  As far as Golshake is concerned, just enter your gross, i.e. real scores and the system will work it out for you.

At your handicap of 28, you get a 2 shot allowance on holes with stroke indexes of 1-10 and 1 on holes with indexes 11-18.  So, for example, if you scored a 9 on a par 4 hole with a stroke index of 6, that would be a net 7 as you get 2 shots and would be reduced to a 6 for handicapping purposes.

user11501
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 20:08

Never heard of this !!!

When calculating your initial handicap gross double bogeys and no worse are counted. Once you have a handicap then your adjustments are then from nett double bogey.

user77012
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 21:23

So now i don't understand ESC,SSS,CSS.HCP.....FFS! There's got be a better way.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 21:49

It's easy. 

• Count the number of shots you took on the hole
  • Write this number on your card
  • Repeat for other 17 holes
  • Go home and fire up the PC
  • Connect to the internet and go to Golfshake
  • Enter your scores into the score tracking system
  • Let the algorythms in the system worry about it and tell you what you need to know
  • re: Equitable Score Control
    user16106
    Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 21:58

Partic

Never heard of this but I gather you mean what score to put down if you have a blob. On the very odd time I have a pick up blob then I put the lowest score that would get me zero stableford points on that hole. On your hcp it would be 4 over par on si 1-10 and 3 over par on si 11-18. Or even simpler just put down a 10 as this would be rounded down for hcp. But medal you must hole out your ball no pick ups.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user77012
    Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 23:12

Phew!  I thought, ello, I've only been here 5 mins and I've already caused mayhem! :-)

don't worry Patric you won't get that mantle there are some serious mayhemers on here

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 21:17

ESC (Equitable Stroke Control) is primarily used in the US and Canada and their respective handicap systems.

user16106
    Reply : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 21:30

Did I see someware the yanks drop there best score and worst score per round for their handicaps?

Any of our friends from the US members of GS?

Dave CAC handed Geordies

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 21:41

Dave, US system is average based so assuming you have played 30 rounds in last year it will take the last 20 and from those take the average of the best 10 thus your handicap fluctuates more dramatically.  

Then the US also use the slope and course rating system so if you have a handicap of say 15 at your home club when you went to play at another club your would get a course handicap which could be higher or lower dependent on the course difficulty.

Possible a fairer golf handicap system but sure we have discussed this at length in other threads  

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 08:39

Patric, just to reiterate what others have said.  Yes record all shots in Golfshake and the system will adjust scores, calculate handicaps etc

Regards, Darren.

Golfshake.com Dev 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top