Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Reg to Stiff

Posted by: user259883 | Fri 20th Aug 2010 17:26 | Last Reply

This week I purcahsed a set of Titleist MB irons with s300 shaft.

Only ever hit regular.

For some reason I now seem to be striking the ball better and with a higher trajectory than ever before. Also my accuracy has increased without losing to many yards.

I thought it would be the other way round? 

Still a reg with my woods though I think.

In need of a wise forum member to help me out with my confusion 

re: Reg to Stiff
user52922
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 17:30

You are more accurate with the stiff shafts and I am sure you will have lost a few yards as you will have lost the benefit of the loading of the softer shaft.

You seem to be a pretty solid player and would be able to play with anything. I am as weak as a kitten but even I can use a stiff shafted club, but it does not send the ball very far.

I play with the lightest and softest shaft I can handle.

user52922
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 19:50

I have yet to play Cleobury, Greg, you have me mixed up with probably Floody. I am looking forward to playing it on the 1st October.

Very few players really need a stiff shaft, very few who do manage to load the shaft to get the full benefit from it.

I have a profesional player friend who uses regular shafts, and when I asked him why he said, I need every yard I can get, John.

When the club is loaded properly one can instantly feel where the clubhead is throughout the swing, which helps in timing the release. If one cannot feel this loading then accelerating through the ball becomes a lottery.

user24437
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 22:28

I've just gone from a stiff to a regular shafted driver (albeit a very good shaft, apparently) and the difference has been quite marked.  I've hit maybe 40 balls with it, mostly during rounds not on the range, and I've yet to reproduce my extreme power fade I used to get.  The most left to right I'm getting now is maybe 5 yards but I've pinged a few dead straight left - the rest go, remarkably for me, where I'm aiming.  Still got stiff shafts in the 3 & 5 woods and hybrid but I've always had regular in my irons.

Last edit : Fri 20th Aug 2010 22:28

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top