Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What do you look for when you go to another course?

Posted by: user130064 | Fri 20th Aug 2010 13:20 | Last Reply

Hi,

After a trip to a local course, I had a bit of a discussion with another person in our group about what to expect when visiting a golf course as a party. I think that effectively you are just a guest, and should be not expect the red carpet treatment, as all golf courses should put members first. He said that it should be the other way around, as vistors spend more money.

What do you guys think? And what do you look for when visiting a course, and what makes some places better to visit than others?

Last edit : Fri 20th Aug 2010 13:20
re: What do you look for when you go to another course?
user52922
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 14:39

I have never been a member of any private club that was inundated with green fee payers, if it was, then I would not be a member.

I am a member of a group that has a chain fo courses but is still basically a play and pay course and as a member you would not believe what I have to put up with by these nomadic players who just do not have a clue  as to how to dress, or how to conduct themselves on a course.

I played on Thursday in a three ball and after 2 holes we caught up with a 4 ball in two buggies. They were members of Hampton Court Golf Club, a part of Crown golf visting for the day. They asked us if we would like to play through, but we could see where the problem was.

In front of them were two 2 balls who were probably raw beginners, dressed in shorts with shirts hanging outside and swings to match. in front of these was a three ball easilly keeping up with another 2 ball who really had no idea of what was going on around them. They were so immersed in their game of "Lets us hold everybody up".

We just accepted that it was going to be a slow round.

Last edit : Fri 20th Aug 2010 14:40
user52922
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 16:01

I fullly agree, Ray, that paying a Green Fee does entitle you to membership for the day nd by and large everywhere I play I have always been treated well.

The only way private clubs have of being selective is by pricing the Green fee very high which they believe will keep the riff raff away, but as we all know most trouble seems to be caused by these high earning yuppies who do not have a clue how to behave.

The high price is to keep people away.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 16:17

Nick,

I think your friend should re-think his statement saying "visitors spend more money". A Member may pay £800 p.a. and then not spend a penny over the Bar nor in the Pro Shop, but they still gave the Club £800. If a visitor spends £100 on his visit, thats still £700 less than a Member.

I am a Golfer and enjoy mixing with other like Golfers, with a common outlook of enjoying this game. It doesn't matter which Club I visit I will always talk to Members as though I am on their ground. You would be surprised how many times I have been approached in a Bar after a round and been asked "well, what do you think of our course then?" by the same members I spoke to before playing.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top