Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My new driver

Posted by: user24437 | Tue 17th Aug 2010 23:27 | Last Reply

Picked up my new modified driver on Saturday just before the West Midlands qualifier (about 10 mins before, actually) and would like to say thanks to Dave Ley for turning out a little peach.  I am now the proud owner of a mongrel club, Ben Hogan CS3 10.5 deg draw biased head, Aldilla DVS 60R shaft and possibly the stickiest Golf Pride grip out (although that may be down to the wine gums).

Hit a dozen or so balls with it on the range with none of my customary slice and, possibly foolishly decided to use it for the round.  First drive was badly left, but straight and long for me rolling in to the trees at 225yds - still waiting for the fade I suppose.  However as the round progressed I got straighter and ended up feeling very confident with it (shame about my short game though).  Took it out again the next day in difficult windy conditions, straightened everything up and swung it slow and smooth (due to massive hangover) and all of a sudden was easily keeping up with, and sometimes outdriving my playing partners.  Now we aren't big hitters by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a great feeling knowing that I could be pretty confident it was going where I wanted it to.  Was happy to shoot an 84 (net 69) off the competition tees, but even more pleased to have hit 7 out of 7 fairways on the back 9, all with respectable distance.

Just as an aside, went and had a quick lesson with Wayne today (thoroughly recommend it, you're good teacher Santo - really got into my obsession with mechanics) and he has fallen in love with my new toy too!

PS  it'll probably all collapse by the end of the week, but that's golf...

re: My new driver
user77012
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 08:26

No problem Tim keep banging them long and straight! and glad your lesson went well ,he can be serious sometimes

re: My new driver
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 09:01

Still waiting for you to PM me with a quote for a DVS shaft Dave.  Got some money back from the taxman so I can pay for it without the wife noticing.....

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top