Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

PGA Farcus

Posted by: user26342 | Mon 16th Aug 2010 00:22 | Last Reply

Just waiting to see if Dustin Johnston gets a 2 shot penalty for grounding his club in what looked like a bit of waste land. His ball landed in the middle of a crowd but their now saying that all sand on the course is deemed as bunkers!!

You got to feel sorry for him!

re: PGA Farcus
user26342
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 00:25

Yep, he got a 2 shot penalty.

How they can class an area where about 100 people were standing prior to his shot as a bunker is unbelievable.

In golf rules is rules but some seem harsher than others.

user294149
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 00:44

It was said at start of tourn that all in play, doesn't make it right however and IMO the whole bunker grounding rule is pathetic anyway.

If he made the putt on 18 though, i'd like to have seen the scenes that would have followed.

Good luck to both I think Bubba will doit though

user26342
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 01:04

Come on Kaymer.

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 09:36

Incredible!! Just writing the report now, going to take me a while!!

Whilst we are talking about the PGA, forget the rules for a second because that is going to roll on for a long time, but how many times were players put off or had to stop because of camera's!

Porr Nick Watney on the 7th and even Kaymer in the play-off on the 18th! When are these people going to learn!

Also dumb American's shouting 'In the hole' or even 'mashed potato'! (Did anyone else hear that?)

So annoying!

Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 10:42

Absolutly agree Colin,

Even the commentators were saying the shouting should stop and the culprits either told politly to shut up or leave.

I know the players don't like it either, but it will carry on so they will have to just deal with it.

If you have been sheltered from exsistance for the last 24 hours and don't know what went on read my report:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1776/Kaiser_Kaymer_wins_controversial_USPGA_Championship.html

user26342
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 11:00

Adam,

did you see the interview with the PGA rules chairman. He was basically saying that the course is very unique & they are 'generous' with their roping for spectators & that they had made it very clear in the rules & even put notices in the locker room warning players that all sand areas are deemed as bunkers.

Also as well he actually grounded his club TWICE but can only be penalised once for the same offence.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 11:19

The Dumb thing about the cameras were that they were in the hands of PGA Pro's and Professional Photographers, not the Public.

As for Dustin Johnson, his body language and his explanation didn't match. It would have been possible for the spectators to have broken the edges of the bunkers (HAZARDS) over the course of the week and the question of the sand being in or out of a bunker. The PGA had but notices of 1200 bunker locations in prominent locations so all Players and Caddies should have been aware. When DJ first approached his ball on the 18th he grounded his club, then looked around with a look of puzzlement. Got a shaft of light taken away from his ball and then grounded his club again as he prepared and hit his second shot. I know that a Players brain can be fuzzled when leading a Major down the 72nd hole but I think he knew of these bunkers but thought that it was damaged and he wasn't actually in one. A fatal mistake.

Well done Martin, another European Major Champion.

TheLyth

Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 11:43

Yeah I did see it John, thought it was a very good interview.

He cleared stated the rules and clearly stated that the players should know them, so down to personal mistake I'm afraid. Think his caddie should also take some flack, isn't thank what he's around for?

Full credit to DJ though I thought he conducted himself brilliantly afterwards and fully accepted the ruling. I think deep down he knew he was in the wrong.

Lyth, it is ashame about the camera's as these people are meant to be professionals.

I think with all this blow-out about DJ, Martin is not getting enough credit, fully agree with your praise, nearly faultless final round. Great addition to the European squad for Ryder Cup.

Foursomes partner with Langer anybody????

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 11:58

Adam,

If Westwood can't get fit, replaced by Langer. No problem.

TheLyth

user11501
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 13:05

Leafgate again !!!!!!!!

user11501
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 13:05

Thanks for the congratulations, guys. Didn't realise my win at the Golfshake.com West Midlands Qualifier was such a popular result !!!!!!!!

user77012
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 13:22

It ain't you C#ck No , seriouly Mart well done  on qualifing twice, are you going to go for the hat trick ?

No sympathy here they were given all the local rules in writing ang posted in the locker rooms, spectaters have to stand somewhere and the pro's don't complain about the grasss trampled down and get a good lie when they should be up to there knees in rough, and if that was a cart path behind the ropes they would expect relief . The who ha is purely because it's on the 18th of the final round  of a Major which he could have won,From what I could see of it I thought it was a bunker and thought great he can't get there in two.

Last edit : Tue 17th Aug 2010 11:31
user77012
Reply : Tue 17th Aug 2010 13:20

This should clear it up, plus some priceless chat as a bonus from Steve Elkington.

http://www.twithear.com/playaudio.php?.eB,d.V5b2n3qysEraPIkNprkDhMDd6G91DsTBPj.7svA1YyNIB1iA//bl01

Reply : Tue 17th Aug 2010 13:31

Brilliant!!!

user16163
Reply : Tue 17th Aug 2010 15:07

had a spot of bother with playing out of a bunker

as i recall dave i didnt have no problem playing out of the bunker

once all the leaves had gone

user77012
Reply : Tue 17th Aug 2010 15:18

All jokes a side you played a great shot and you didn't ground your club . I mean there are worse things in life , It's not life or death is it....  "it's far more serious than that" says Martin.  

Last edit : Tue 17th Aug 2010 15:19

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top