Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf ball for beginner?

Posted by: user319949 | Sun 15th Aug 2010 22:33 | Last Reply

Short time lurker, first time poster so go easy on me!

I got into golf about 6 weeks ago and have played around 15 rounds of golf and hit plenty of range balls so far. My first lesson is coming up this week as I think I've hit a brick wall with the self/friends-taught approach.

Whilst I am still accumulating technique, course management, golf gear, etc, I have a quandry about the balls I should be using.

Almost all balls aimed at beginners seem hard as nails and are distance over feel/control. Is it assumed that all beginners have difficulty with distance primarily?

I'm finding that distance isn't a problem as I primarily play a short course yardage wise and can hit fairly far I think. I am only using irons and occasionally a 3-hybrid, I typically hit my 5 iron around 175 yards (ish) and the 3-hybrid around 210 on a good day. I know swing-speed is key, but I am yet to measure this.

My main problem is control around the greens (probably technique rather than ball, lets be honest) and putting.

Typically I am told that I would be wasting money if I went for a high end ball, but I don't understand that as I don't typically lose many balls. I know there is nothing stopping me going for a more expensive ball, but is there an argument for beginner balls that are not distance focussed? Any recommendations based on what I have said above?

Thanks

re: Golf ball for beginner?
user16106
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 22:50

Martin, If you mean you litteraly use range balls then DON'T. If you mean you just use any old ball you pick up then DON'T. Pick a ball and stick to it, it doesnt have to be a high end prov1 or callaway black as these in my opinion ( so its true ) are more suseptable to wind and spin. I play off 15 and use a Donnay titanium  yellow ball. Nothing to do with cost. I just think if I hit it straight it will go straight, I also get pretty good distance and that cant be a bad thing. Prov1 are a nice ball to chip and putt with though. Donnay a little harder but still ok. Try a few different balls, see what you like the feel of and stick to it for a while. Get down to low teens then re-avaluate.

Best of luck Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 08:47

Martin,

I suggest you try the Wilson Dx2.  Reasonably priced at about £16 per dozen, these are a soft ball that gives good feel around the green.  I was using these until earlier this year and there are others on here that use them too

user329702
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 09:17

Personally I started about 3 months ago and still lose a few balls (upto 2 - 4 a round). To start with I bought 50 "used" (water recovered) balls for about £12. At my level I fail to see how the ball will make a marked difference to my game.

user34817
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 12:42

Hi Martin,

I use the Srixon AD333 which seems to be a good all round ball.  I have no problem with distance and you still get a nice feel around the greens.  I bought my last batch off ebay for around £16 for two dozen (A grade used balls).  I agree with Lewis that using the same ball can really help your game.  You get used to how the ball will react during the short game and especially when putting.

Richard

user319949
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 13:07

Allan - good point, I'll be sure to bring it up

Patric - I'm glad I'm not the only beginner with this way of thinking!

David - sorry I didn't mean I use range balls on the course. I meant that I've hit plenty of range balls, at the range - even I'm not that tight!

Chris/Lewis - I'll take a look at the Dx2, thanks for the recommendation

Peter - my thinking is that I have no hope of knowing whether the ball is part of the problem unless I keep it consistent, hence trying to go for a single make and model and sticking with it

Richard - I've putted with the AD333 a few times on the practice ground and they seemed better than the cheap stuff I have been hitting, maybe I'll take a look see what offers I can find!

Many thanks for all the comments, glad to know I'm not over thinking this element of the game. I don't like to blame equipment, but this game is a minefield if you go off down the wrong path it seems. 

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 11:21

Martin,

If you get the latest edition of Today's Golfer there is a golf ball guide you find useful.

Adam

user309476
Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 02:36

i have been playing on and off for 16 years and untill the past 2 years have been using what i find or hand me downs from my dad.

i am now trying the callaway diablo ( moving from nike karma and srixon ad333) and after 1 round i am impressed. the ball guide in the latest todays golfer has played a part in this choice. i feel lakeballs are a good cheap way to find the right ball if you are prone to losing 1 or 2 a round (nothing worse than losing a new ball early in a round) but you can't really beat a new ball.

user596177
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2014 17:35

Hi Martin for a beginner I am amazed how well you are doing. I use any good make of ball which are on special offer not going going to waste money in hope of getting a few extra yards. Far better hitting the ball straight is the more important than distance. I have no problem with lake balls as long as they are not at the cheaper end of the market.

Last edit : Tue 15th Jul 2014 17:35
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2014 18:56

Golf balls are a personal prefence thing. Find one or two that you like and stick to them.

Being as you are a beginner I would say try the balls that you find and rate them.

When I first started I was using anything I found (handy, as I was losing as many as I found!)

Over time I found the golf balls I liked so started using them. The ones I didn't like I would give to my friends, or swap them with my friends.

Now, I would like to play with the Titleist Pro V1x during the summer months, and I use the Srixon Soft Feel in the winter months.

There are two types of golf balls, the distance balls and the feel balls.

Distance balls are supposed to stay straighter and go longer, but you lose feel around the greens (not much good when the greens are rock hard in the summer)

Then you have the feel balls. They won't go as far as the distance balls and are more likely to suffer from side spin on long shots. But the control you have around the green is far better than a distance ball.

I like the control around the greens, so I would play the Titleist Pro V1x during the summer months.

In the winter, the greens are much softer so you don't really have to have that much control, so the Srixon Soft Feel works for me. I get the same distance as the Pro V1x during the winter, but the ball feels nice when around the greens.

One thing to remember about range balls, they only go about 90% of the distance of a normal golf ball.

The 18th on the Priors course at Stapleford Abbotts GC is a par three over water. About 100 yards from the yellow tees. The number of times I've played with people and they suddenly change to a range ball for this hole. They then put it in the pond and moan about it! Don't change golf balls for different holes, you are telling your brain that you aren't going to make that carry, etc. You normally don't!

Russ

Last edit : Tue 15th Jul 2014 18:56
user596177
Reply : Wed 16th Jul 2014 16:59

Good time to buy Srixon soft as they are being sold at a reduced price in Sports Direct being a winter ball that could be the reason why. Can not say I have noticed much difference in golf balls being pretty new to the game. I was 72 when i started 3 years ago. Just beginning to get my hips working and now managing to hit the ball straight and over 200 metres which I am quite pleased about. Martin hitting a ball 200 yards after only 15 games takes some beating. I was quite happy to hit the ball 100 yards until I I learn't to hit it the ball straight.

Last edit : Wed 16th Jul 2014 16:59
user99350
Reply : Fri 18th Jul 2014 08:37

I recently heard that frowned upon Dunlops were made by Srixon and Taylormade by adidas. My gauge for a good golf ball is hold one at arms lengh and drop onto the patio. If it comes up to your navel and doesn't sound too hard then you're good to go. If you're a beginner then golf balls should be way down your list of priorities. Achieving a reasonable consistent strike should be your prime objective so concentrate on grip, alignment and swing path.

Last edit : Fri 18th Jul 2014 08:37
user246701
Reply : Sat 19th Jul 2014 15:46

Not sure Martin is really going to read this since he started the thread about 4 years ago

Anyway, Srixon and Dunlop are owned by the same team, not sure it actually makes a blind bit of difference though as balls are made to a specification, and having them made by somebody versus somebody else is not going to make any difference to the ball itself.

Taylormade is owned by Adidas.

Last edit : Sat 19th Jul 2014 15:46
user596177
Reply : Sun 20th Jul 2014 10:08

Hello Martin are you still around? Many of us have not been playing for 4 years so its not a bad topic to bring back to life. I agree with you Patrick the grip and golf swing should be the top priority, Going to a group lesson which is cheap and will correct the swing before bad habits are formed. Because I started playing rather late in life, trying to get the waist moving was a problem. Like all beginners of my age I was all arms and nothing else.

Last edit : Sun 20th Jul 2014 10:08
user260060
Reply : Fri 25th Jul 2014 18:09

I generally use Nike PD Softs. A nice ball that works for me. In the practice bag I have a whole host of others. (Generally found balls) often get lucky and find Pro V1's. For practice, any ball will do for me. I tend to steer away from Donnays as I find them too hard. Not brand snobbery but I prefer something a little softer.

Last edit : Fri 25th Jul 2014 18:09
user596177
Reply : Fri 25th Jul 2014 19:04

Titleist seem to be the most popular ball being use if found balls are anything to go by.

Last edit : Fri 25th Jul 2014 19:04

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top