Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What golf balls do you use?

Posted by: user326345 | Sun 15th Aug 2010 20:07 | Last Reply

I always use srixon ad 333 balls (The blue type) It gives me a good feel of the ball and pretty good distance. However, i'm contemplating going for wilson DrX3 as it (Apparently) gives more feel, grip and distance.

So what balls do you use and why?

re: What golf balls do you use?
user249845
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 20:21

I've used the wilson dx2 & dx3 balls for a while now & to be honest, can't really tell the difference between the two.

I have been trying out a few different balls recently. Tried the Bridgestone e7+, which promises a penetrating trajectory. This was ok, but felt a tad on the hard side compared with the Bridgestone Treosoft, which I like, and is also cheaper!

Yesterday, bought some 2010 model Titleist NXT Tour balls. Gave them a go today and 1st impressions are very good. Good distance, quite a nice softish feel and offers loads more spin than any of the above. Costs a bit more, but seems a good product from what I have seen so far.

user249845
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 20:30

Sounds like good fun to play golf with you, Sanders. I have a mate who sometimes plays with me whop is a beast. 6ft 4, built like a brick ....house with arms like my thighs. He smashes it miles but is a bit wayward. His 4 iron shot would be a reasonable drive to me.

Do you regularly hit the greens from the tee on par 4s?

user52922
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 20:48

A ball is a ball is a ball, whichever make one uses. it takes a little time to see how it performs. The if there are certain spects that don't appeal then one can always try another. The secret is to settle on one make only, as it then can give you accurate readings on how far you actually do hit each club, what its characteristics are when one is chipping, pitching etc.

Myself I have always preferred a ball that I could control around the green, as this is the scoring zone. I am currently using the bridgestone treosoft because my old ball, the Topflite Z balata, has now been discontinued.

An old pro friend of mine uses topflite XL, which is a hard ball. I asked him why, as it will be very difficult to control around the green and he replied that at his age he needed all the length he could get and he just had to change the way he played his shots around the green to accommodate for the lack of responsiveness from the harder ball. Horses for courses, as they say.

user249845
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 21:06

The ad333 is a good ball, as is the dx2, which costs less than the dx3. Dx2 is nice and soft and you wont have too much trouble getting it to stop on the green. In my experience it is more durable than the ad333 too, so it wont need as many 'haircuts'

As it has already been mentioned, your choice of ball is purely personal.

user131525
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 21:13

I play Srixon Soft Feel balls (the green ones).  I've tried lots of others, but always seem to end up coming back to these.  At around £14 a dozen new, I think they're pretty good value and fell great around the green.

user95306
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 21:52

Taylor made reds for me, I've tried a few different balls this year srixon z star, 333's tried the Wilson dx 3's which I thought were a great ball nice feel around the green but finally settled on the Taylor mades!!!

user217280
Reply : Tue 17th Aug 2010 10:51

Have to agree with John regards ball type , as long as you use the same ball then you will get used to how it performs.I have used Topflight XL and Titleist Pro V's and it has not changed my scores, All the different balls I have played over the years, I have been able to stop with in a yard of where it lands coming in the greens even with as much as a five iron, if you strike the ball solid it will stop, Last year I was playing Pro v's because I got a good deal on them, this year I couldn't get the same deal so I am using Wilson DX2's dont stop quite as quick as the Titliest but there is only a foot or so's difference coming in with a full shot and I need to allow for a liitle more roll out on shot chip shots. after a few holes I got used to that. so its not a problem.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top