Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Help needed - Shanking the ball !!

Posted by: user94235 | Tue 10th Aug 2010 16:52 | Last Reply

I have played golf for many years and have a handicap of 15, all of a sudden 2 weeks ago I started shanking the ball and cannot seem to hit a proper shot. It is a nightmare, I have a semi final of a singles competition coming up and am worried I am going to make a fool of myself. I have tried everything and am the end of my thether, I feel like walking away from golf, I love the game but it is doing my head in.... I have had a couple of lessons and he has tried to get me hitting from inside to out but, still it continues........ Any suggestions would be greatly received. I have split the skin on the middle finger of my right hand by spending so much time on the range and over the local field trying to cure this.

EDIT: I can hit my driver, 5 wood and rescue clubs ok, it is just my iron shots.

thanks in advance

Cloutty

Last edit : Tue 10th Aug 2010 16:53
re: Help needed - Shanking the ball !!
user106712
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 18:35

One thing I found stopped me shanking was to "toe in" the iron just a little (try with every iron). Then when you get your confidence back you can start hitting normally again. (well it worked for me).

user106712
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 19:00

Ps. Obviously you will need to aim a little to the right, and also you may hit a little further as it will de-loft the club a little.

user202373
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 22:49

i suffer from the odd shank and i find playing the ball off the toe of the club and try standing a bit further away m8

user94235
Reply : Wed 11th Aug 2010 09:36

Thx for all the advice chaps, I am going to let my split finger heal and then try out some of the advice you have kindly offered. I will let you know how it goes...

Cloutty

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top