Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

GS Open Yorkshire Event - thoughts/feedback

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 10th Aug 2010 10:31 | Last Reply

Hi all, for 2010 we have had/are having events in the South, South East, South West, West Mids, East Mids, North West, North East and Scotland.  Which is a great success and increase in the regions compared to 2009.

At present due to lack of interest initially (date clash) and now due to time constraints and venue options the Yorkshire region is unrepresented in 2010. Most of those interested have played in other events around them ie North West, East Mids and North East so most people have had the chance to play.

However given the top 2 players in 2009 qualified through from a Yorkshire regional event it would be nice for 2010 to also include a Yorkshire region.

Therefore we have 2 options:

1 - Continue to source a venue but could mean a midweek game

2 - Utilise the CGL event at Willow Valley on the 14th Aug, this is already filled with Golfshake members and there is the option to extend the number of players to allow other Yorkshire entrants.  Issues around this are the time frame and the fact it clashes with the West Mids and North East qualifiers plus is also the same date as Ged Keery's North West Charity day.

Let me know thoughts, would welcome community feedback given this is a Golfshake community event. 

Regards, Darren.

Last edit : Wed 11th Aug 2010 11:05
re: GS Open Yorkshire Event - thoughts/feedback
user214403
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 21:10

by the looks of things only two people want this yokshire event myself and steve martin so lets use the cgl event to save time and money

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 21:41

Paul, I'm almost ready to say let's go with it.  As you say the 2 people keen on the Yorkshire event were yourself and Steve plus one other chap who's confirmed he could play on Saturday if he knows where the venue is.

I presume there is still the opportunity for more players ?

Regards, Darren.

user214403
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 21:53

yes room for about 20 more and its at willow valley first tee time 2.20

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 22:00

Is the event on Golfshake or just the CGL site at the mo ?  

user214403
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 22:13

yes room for about 20 more and its at willow valley first tee time 2.20

user214403
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 22:18

no its just on the cgl site so you could put it on hear the cost is £25 for golf only

user106712
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 22:56

I'd like to enter but I'll be working this weekend. My opinion would be to say everyone who wants to enter just turn up at Temple Newsome muni at 10:30 next Monday or Wednesday ( whichever gets the majority vote ) and just pay and play as you don't have to book in advance. Also it is a good course in reasonable condition. And it is quite central for Yorkshire.

Ps, it only costs about £12 (I think)

Last edit : Tue 10th Aug 2010 23:06
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 11th Aug 2010 00:12

Colin, yup that's the problem trying to suit everyone.

Decision in the morning. 

user231725
Reply : Wed 11th Aug 2010 09:21

Hi Darren

Just to highlight the general apathy regarding the event, when I posted last week and asked the question about "interest" there was only 1 reply.  Most of the replies were offers of advice on running the event.

As you know, I have made a few enquiries and have a couple of venues willing to take us in the week before August Bank holiday.  Let's just ask the question 1 more time.  Who would be up for a qualifier at Mid Yorkshire golf club on Friday 27th August starting at 14.20 or who would rather play at Willow Vallety this Saturday?

At the moment there are only 23 players confirmed for Willow Valley on Saturday.  So, presumably that would give just 2 Golfshake.open final spots (1 from each handicap category).

If we get say another 20 palyers interested in the midweek event at Mid Yorkshire then that would give another 2 spots in the final.  That way we please all the people that can make this Saturdays event and all those that can only make a midweek event.

Thoughts please.

Cheers

Steve

user115733
Reply : Wed 11th Aug 2010 10:20

If it could be arranged at Mid Yorkshire on Friday 27th August as Steve mentioned then I would enter, but weekends are difficult for me because of work.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 11th Aug 2010 11:04

Steve decision made.  The Willow Valley event will now be an official GS Open qualifier this will then meet the approval of the 4 players that were super keen for the Yorkshire event on top of the existing events in the North East, North West and East Mids (North Notts).

Potentially we may look to do one last qualifier mid week in a central location but this will be dependent on interest and availability. As suggested by Nigel, Steven and Adrian but we would need to ensure that this was a true event in a competitive environment rather than 'pay and play' to ensure the competition is fair and and scores etc were validated.

http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/5908/ ;

Regards, Darren.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top