Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

irons???

Posted by: user231824 | Mon 9th Aug 2010 17:10 | Last Reply

I have managed to reduce my handicap from 18.9 down to 12.8 in the last 15 months using a set of ping rapture irons, however after 5 years I now feel like the irons have taken me as far as they can and they are a bit knackered from carrying them round in my van, therefore I am looking for some new ones. looking on different websites I am finding conflicting reports on handicap ranges of clubs, can anyone suggest a decent set of irons for somone like myself who is looking to improve. i have been looking at the Titleist AP2 and mizuno MP-52 range. any help would be much appreciated.

re: irons???
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 17:32

Having tried both of those Brett, I would suggest you would be better off with MP62's or Titleist CB's if you want to improve further.  The MP52 are aimed (in my opinion) at the 12-18 handicap range, as are the AP2's.  I personally found both the MP52 and AP2 a good club but almost a little too forgiving so I found it difficult to work the ball.

I have recently bought the CB's (they JUST beat the MP62's for me) and they are superb. 

Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 22:10

Bit of a throw away comment there Colin.  I found a set I liked and then got fitted for them.  Anyone can get fitted (and should) but you need to make sure you are being fitted for the right set

Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 22:35

Don't disagree with you Ivan.  I found a set of heads I liked, then a shaft that I both liked and suited me and then chose grips that worked for me.  I have had the three put together (after trying the head/shaft combination first) but properly fitted for legth, lie, flex, etc. I now have a set of Titleist CB's with stiff KBS Tour shafts and multi-compund grips.  We're currently getting to know each other as we've only been together less than a week.

I have seen too many people wander out of my local Direct Golf with a set of Adams clubs having been "fitted" and told they were the best thing for them when it's actually the best thing for the shop (they make the most commision on Adams as they have exclusive marketing rights).  I chatted to a guy from Nike while trying the VR split cavities on the range there on a demo day and he told me he had fully fitted up three people that day, they had gone into the shop with the spec of the Nikes they were having and had been talked into having Adams because they "were better/just as good/would suit them better".

Golf clubs are very personal.  Being fitted is one thing, getting clubs you like and having them fitted for you is another

user231824
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 17:04

well firstly thanks for the comments, secondly I have been and tried out a few sets this morning and I have to say that the CB 710's have a great feel to them and I felt extremely confident when striking the ball so thanks for the tip Chris.

The Mizuno's for some reason don't feel right but why I just can't put my finger on it, the ping G10's also felt ok and as far as direct-golf goes I walked away after 10 minutes of being told Adams and Taylormade were the only clubs that would suit me. Anyway I am swaying towards the CB 710's, once again thanks for your posts

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 20:44

Brett the Golfshake experience of a recent  Custom Fit session at the Belfry .

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1698/Custom_fit_session_at_The_Belfry.h

tml  

Reply : Tue 10th Aug 2010 22:38

I've been fitted for driver, fairway woods and wedges at the Belfry.  Superb service, helpful little tips while you're trying out the stuff too.  Nothing too much trouble and I was allowed to try the recommended wedges off the grass and out of the practice bunker too.  They also gave me a shaft fitting for irons as I had the time whilst getting the wedges. 

£50 is not cheap, but you do get a £50 voucher for the shop at the end of it.  It doesn't have to go on clubs, but their prices are not too far away from those of the major retailers anyway (they were actually cheapest for my driver)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top