Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Advice on mental game please.

Posted by: user276830 | Mon 9th Aug 2010 11:38 | Last Reply

First of all, my golfshake handicap is a bit misleading as I'm really around 18 on full 18 hole courses and I have got to down to 15 on here from my scores on two short 9 holers close to where I live.

Anyway, I was out for a quick social game on Sunday and without really noticing, I notched up 5 pars over the 9 holes with only the one double bogey (Three putted back down the hill after nearly chipping in for birdie)

I managed 3 pars in a row at one stage. All that even tho I was driving quite badly, well below my usual standards. I've been working really hard on my iron play and it's starting to pay off.

So before I ramble any further, here's my question. I've got a competition this coming Sunday and I would really like to play well. Has anyone got any advice as to how I take my social game form into a competition?

Thank you.

re: Advice on mental game please.
user48341
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 21:12

I'm sure you won't need too much advice from a higher handicapper, but I've been reading a couple of books recently by Dr Bob Rotella (from Amazon, incidently!) whose main mantra seems to be "play each shot in the present" - As he recommends, I've stopped counting up my overall scores and points as I go round and try to wait until at least the 10th tee or, better still, 19th hole before I count up properly.

All of a sudden, I find I'm hitting more shots more cleanly - and my handicap has recently come down from its sombrero-wearing 24.7 to a more fitting 22.3 - Not an outstanding reduction but for someone who normally scores one good score a year and then spends the next year going back up in 0.1's, I'm very encouraged with how things are shaping up.

So, play each shot on its merits as if it is the only shot you are going to play - forget the last shot and don't think ahead to the prospects of the next one - Just stay in the present!

Best wishes for the comp.

user77012
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 21:36

Ray this help me a lot my head was a wash with far to many technical swing thoughts.

user26342
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 22:34

He don't look like Santo Leyo?

user77012
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 22:47

He ain't the same price either   but you know it works for me you've witnessed it. What was the score agiin see you saturday bud.

Besides all the youtube clips of Santo (Rodger) are with his hand up a teddy bears Ar#e

Last edit : Mon 9th Aug 2010 22:54
user26342
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 23:01

Sanders,

Leyo hasn't got much up there to switch off anyway

user77012
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 23:18

Very true John, what was that score again

Ivan, I would think you would agree with the sentiments of thinking less,no. I can only speak from my own experience that as of listening to the above my game has got significantly better. Apart from a forward press I couldn't tell you what i'm doing in my swing , but a couple of weeks ago coud have broken it down into 24 segments I would put my driving about 30% Irons 10% (not much wrong with them anyway) chipping 60% (this was alwys poor) better and putting about the same.

I personally had no difficulty in switching off my swing thought,s plus what I discuss with santo my minds at a good place on the course right now.

user26342
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 23:24

Dave,

It was 7 & 6, looking forward to the rematch

user77012
Reply : Mon 9th Aug 2010 23:33

Looking forward to as long as have super Dai as a partner again.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top