Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Nutrition for Golf!!!!!

Posted by: user10367 | Sun 8th Aug 2010 12:15 | Last Reply

How many of you eat the right foods for sustaining energy whilst playing.

1. Do you know what foods you should eat and when?

2. Are you aware of Simple and Complex Cabohydratyes (CHO)?

Eating after exercise - training or tournament play.

Do you know it takes approx 20 hours to recover the Muscle Glycogen (stored carbohydrates)  and the time it takes depends on the amount of carbohydrate you consume, the type of carbohydrate eaten and when you consume the carbohydrate. The first 2 hours following an exercise session or days play is the time when the rate of glycogen re-synthesis is at it's quickest. So it's useful for you to take onboard sufficient carbohydrate as soon after the execise session or round as is practical.

You may not feel hungry immediately following your session and drinking fluids rather than solids may be preferred. As soon as you have done your warm down routine you should try and take onboard at least a litre of fluid (not alcohol - unless you've won the game) and approx 1 gram of CHO per kg body weight.

re: Nutrition for Golf!!!!!
user106712
Reply : Sun 8th Aug 2010 12:38

Bananas Wayne !!

user106712
Reply : Sun 8th Aug 2010 12:46

bananas Jamie !

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 8th Aug 2010 12:52

Pasta and chicken 4-8 hours before the game, bananas during the game, chocolate if you are starting to feel it.  Best drinks are the isotonic type like Lucozade Sport and Gatorade (other brands are available!) as these are asorbed by your body quicker

user77012
Reply : Sun 8th Aug 2010 13:02

Guinness , and the beauty of it is theres no limit on the amount you can have. Or loads of Red Bull and a Snickers.

user249845
Reply : Sun 8th Aug 2010 13:03

Whenever possible, a big full english breakfast before playing, then loads of water and lucozade orange while playing, with the odd chocolate bar.

After playing, either steak and chips or a carvery type meal is the way to go.

user52922
Reply : Sun 8th Aug 2010 13:34

Well having read all this nonsense I wonder how I ever managed to achieve anything.

user52922
Reply : Sun 8th Aug 2010 14:23

Well, Ivan, we both have different opinions on this subject but please explain to me how in my days as a child and youth one never saw anyone who could even be called fat, let alone obese.

Being around during the war meant that our diet was basically what one could lay their hands on, so not much in the way of variety and certainly nowhere near the amount of calories and salt as todays foods contain.

I do not eat processed food at all, we buy everything fresh.

user52922
Reply : Sun 8th Aug 2010 16:14

Yes, Wayne I a quite sure that there is something horrible in everything we eat, but it really is a waste of time attempting to educate the masses as to the benefits or pitfalls of aligning oneself with the vagueries of what is, or is not, good for you.

Our wartime diet  did not seem to do me any harm and neither did the 24 hour ration packs when serving in the Army.

I used to play 36 holes on a Saturday and Sunday in top level amateur competition almost every week-end during the season with very little food intake and I don't suppose that stuffing myself with any special vitamins or diet fad would have made he slightest difference.

Truckers only eat once a day and that is also at the wrong time, in the evening, so they tell me, yet I have still managed to stay alive.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top