Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Does being a member of a golf club make a difference to your golf?

Posted by: user326345 | Fri 6th Aug 2010 19:53 | Last Reply

When being a member of a golf club, you are only restricted to playing on one course (Or more depending on the club) But if you're playing competitions at various golf courses, isn't it better to play at different golf courses so that you can adapt quicker to unfamilar surrounding therefore playing better?

That's just my opinion so i'm curious to know what you guys might think.

re: Does being a member of a golf club make a difference to your golf?
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 20:06

I'm a member of a golf club that allows me to play other golf courses belonging to the same company.

But this doesn't stop me playing at other courses near to where I live.

Yes, I do believe that playing at different golf courses will improve your golf more than playing the same course all the time.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 20:08

Jamie, whatever rocks your boat, only you can decide, but the game of golf involves more than just playing, being a club member has so many advantages which at the moment you cannot see.

You will soon find out that playing different courses all the time will hinder you in the putting department as you will just not be able to develop a smooth putting stroke as every course will have greens that are different to the one you played before.

Last edit : Sat 7th Aug 2010 08:21
user38216
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 21:42

Join a club and play as much competitive golf as you can, it will strengthen your game which you can take with you on your away matches.

user26342
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 22:10

Jamie,

I'm a member of a club but I get to play the course from 2 sets of tees which makes the course & most of the holes completely different so it's the equivalent of playing 2 courses.

Plus there's all the different competition formats you can play with like minded members.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 22:22

"That's interesting John regarding the putting department, i never thought about that. Wouldn't different greens help your judgement of the lines over time?"

I'm currently a nomad as I'm working away Jamie.  The biggest problem I have going between courses is the changing pace of the greens. This is even worse for me at the moment as I'm currently playing a course with fairly slow greens (I prefer them quick).

Playing different courses does improve your course management, as well as reducing the chance of getting bored.  However, there is always a downside.

user77012
Reply : Sat 7th Aug 2010 11:23

Good idea good luck with that ,Chris,

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top