Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Iron shots off the middle of the fairway

Posted by: user270701 | Fri 6th Aug 2010 17:17 | Last Reply

I was at the range today and i could hit most of my irons very sweetly. Felt really comfortable. Going straight to were i wanted them to BUT when im playing of the middle of the fairway then you name it (Shank, Slice, Hook, Top) everything seems to happen and i cant hit an iron.

Does this happen to anyone else and has anyone got any idea whats going on and how i can fix it. The only thing i could think on was on the course im trying to hit the ball and up the range im just swinging thriugh. Who knows

Please help, Im sick of just teeing off then using my 3 wood and PW followed by my putter

re: Iron shots off the middle of the fairway
user52922
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 17:29

You have answered your own question, Andrew, it is probably all down to tempo, on the range it is nice and smooth with the ball just getting in the way and on the course the ball becomes the target and then all kinds of things can happen.

Try thinking of finishing your swing in an on balance position with your belt buckle facing the target. To achieve this, one has to go through the ball correctly.

user52922
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 17:48

I doubt it was because of the astro turf, even though it is a consistent surface to play from, whereas on the course the ground can vary with the amount of grass or lack of grass combined with the hardness of the ground.

Having played for so many years I find myself adapting to different ground conditions as a matter of course without even thinking too much about it.

We all have two swings, the practice one which is perfect and the real one which can become flawed on occasion.

user52922
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 18:33

Unfortunately, Andrew, ball position is a very important aspect of the game and at some time or other it would be wise to understand what happens with different positions.

As a quick basic thought, a ball played forward in the stance will give a higher ball flight than one played from the centre with one off the back foot being even lower.

user294149
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 19:54

I have the same problem, got a lot of good replies. I only hope you and I both sort this out asap, I get so frustrated about it and I imagine you do.

user209897
Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 20:47

i blame the mats at the range,if thats what your hitting off,if you catch it fat off a mat, the club bounces and readjusts,if you hit it open or closed face the mat can also correct this slightly,if you hit it thin the mat spits the ball up slightly thus slightly correcting the flight, i hate mats at the range they give a false confidence,none of this is scientificaly proven just my thoughts

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top