Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Balls

Posted by: user124316 | Thu 5th Aug 2010 12:22 | Last Reply

Hi all,

General question here.

Have just completed Wilson's online ball fitting service and have been recommended two types of ball one with 65 compression and one with 75 compression.

The question what difference if any do the different compressions really make & other than wilson what balls would you recommend for a 11.6 Handicap golfer who hits the ball a considerable distance (310 - 325 with Driver) currently i am using either bridgestone B330 or Nike PD Long.

All comments welocome.

re: Balls
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 5th Aug 2010 22:07

The old (2009) Dx2 was a 50 compression ball.  Really soft and went for miles.  I loved it but there was a compromise as it was low spinning and you had to get used to how far it would roll out on hitting the green.  Don't know why, but I wasn't as keen on the 2010 version. 

I'm now gaming Srixon Z-STAR, which I only tried because Darren gave me a sleeve at the N v S in April (you can tell Srixon the marketing paid off Darren!).  Nice soft feel, decent distance, shapes when you want it to (and not too much when you don't!) and good feel around the greens. 

I have tried a lot of different golf balls.  Everyone says how good the one they play with and there is a good reason for that.  A golf ball is as personal a choice as your clubs.  What one person likes, another can't stand.  I, for example, don't like Nike balls.  I know others who play them all the time and swear by them.  

My advice is to have a root through the big tub guaranteed to be next to the till in your pro shop.  Dig out a few different balls and play a few holes with each one.  You will soon find out which you like and which you don't and the cost will be minimal.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top