Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

[VIDEO][hcp36+]Different swings when practicing with and without ball

Posted by: user325514 | Wed 4th Aug 2010 10:36 | Last Reply

Hi!

I am looking around at a few different sites to see if anyone can help me with this weird mental thing in my head.
The issue is that when I swing without a ball in front of me, I do an "ok"ish swing (I have a very high hcp), but as soon as there is a ball in front of me I revert to another swing.
I can make 10-15 "correct" swings while just practicing... but if I imagine there is a ball, or there actually is one... I do something weird when I try to hit it. My club goes around my back, instead of above my shoulders, and I often hit a very strong hook.

I have a video link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1_6ODHlyXc

I am very thankful for any tips and ideas you might have for me. What I do wrong, how I should think and how to practice.

Thank you!

/Johan

Last edit : Thu 5th Aug 2010 16:28
re: [VIDEO][hcp36+]Different swings when practicing with and without ball
user41897
Reply : Wed 4th Aug 2010 13:54

I'd pick up on a couple of points made by Mr SLD that have helped me recently. 

First is the 80-90% backswing.  I do this now - any more and I get all off balance.

Second is the follow through pose.  Until recently I felt I was pulling up early and was very stiff in the follow through.  In the last few rounds I have been concentrating on a graceful sweep and the classic golfer finish which has worked wonders - keeps my hands in the correct place relative to the ball and just seems to let the ball get in the way of the club.

Both the above are working at the mo and are to be recommended.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Aug 2010 14:17

Johan would recommend uploading videos to Youtube rather than people having to download.  

Gets round a whole host of problems with suspicious files etc

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Aug 2010 15:21

Johan, no worries, I'm just protecting people getting in to the habit of downloading unknown files from 3rd party sites.  Not saying anything wrong with your files/site it's just good practice

Sanders, I think 'My Bad' is actually an americanism or is that americanizm did I spell practice right above (C or S)  

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 5th Aug 2010 09:30

Johan,

First thing I noticed is that you lift the club straight up before starting the back swing.  This, coupled with your low and reaching stance, will result in a flat swing plane.  I would suggest standing a little closer to the ball and more upright.  Try also putting a ball about six inches behind the clubhead and in line with the ball you intend to hit.  Try to knock this out of the way with your backswing.  This will encourage you to start the backswing along the correct plane.

My bad swing is a flat one (I get right hand dominant as I played as lot of squash in my younger days) and the swing thought of pushing the ball out of the way helps me to resolve this

Reply : Thu 5th Aug 2010 13:14

Can you get that videoed please Johan.  It will either be brilliant to see you sort some problems out or brilliant to watch the results of you trying to get 758 totally alien different swing movements all at the same time 

Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 00:01

Should that be right armpit since he's cack handed Steve?

Reply : Fri 6th Aug 2010 08:11

Not questioning your expertise Steve, just the dropping on the follow through seemed to make sense with the left armpit for a right-hander.  Think I might try that drill as I get right hand dominant occaisionally which causes me to go flat so that could help me

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top