Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Why is my slice getting worse?

Posted by: user321851 | Mon 26th Jul 2010 09:15 | Last Reply

I know this is a fairly common problem but I cannot seem to rectifiy my slice.   I have had some tuition and after a few lessons my swing and grip had changed.  I can hit the ball well but whenever I get the woods out I end up hitting it 200 yrds forward and 100 yrds to the right.  The ball arcs straight off the tee so I think I am putting quite alot of spin on the ball.

I have tried the making my swing more eliptical but this has helped me to hit it more consistantly but not erradicated the problem.

Any tips I can try out on the range or am I best to invest in some more golf lessons?  I have a baby on the way and the missus is  keen to see a reduction in golf costs.  :-(

re: Why is my slice getting worse?
user250721
Reply : Mon 26th Jul 2010 11:04

I had the same problem once.......I started by trying not to hit it as hard as I was.

When you see the pro's on TV hitting 300+ you sometimes automatically assume its down to power......its not.....more often than not its technique.

Get it right with a 3/4 swing (or even half swing) then start increasing it from there.

If all else fails take up cricket ;-)

user294149
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 13:38

When I shank/slice my iron shots from the fairway, or top them so they hardly move its when (I think) I try hit it too hard, as when I focus more on the swing, it goes properly. It is just doing it all the time. The club will carry the ball

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 15:50

I've got the same problem at the moment.

One thing I have noticed is that if I slow my swing do, which keeps everything in sync then I hit a good straight(ish) drive. 

When I try to swing harder I get out of sync with my body and arms and the slice follows.

It's already been suggested but get down the driving range and only swing 3/4's, you'll be amazed at how far the ball will go with a shorter backswing, but they will be much straighter.

Once you're getting solid shots then you could try lengthening the backswing.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 19:38

John, you have just given yourself a fault to correct a fault, that is not the way to go.

You have now given yourself a hookers grip over which you will have no control whatsoever.

Learn to grip the club correctly and then learn how to swing on the correct path and a slice will be gone forever.

To play this game to a decent standard the basics must be correct or you will be like the multitude who could not give  damn about their game and will be forever frustrated.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:07

You don't appear to have learned much in your 69 years then Mr Payne, I was offering help, but obviously you are not bright enough to understand that. Enjoy your miserable life on the course.

Last edit : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:08
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:26

Mr Payne, Mr Pettitt,

Simple statement.  Stop it.  If you want to start sniping at each other do it somewhere else or I'll start hitting delete.  Don't care who started it, don't care who said what.

Thank you for reading

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:31

Mr Perry (moderator) this is my original post in which you will find nothing derogatory in any way.

John, you have just given yourself a fault to correct a fault, that is not the way to go.

You have now given yourself a hookers grip over which you will have no control whatsoever.

Learn to grip the club correctly and then learn how to swing on the correct path and a slice will be gone forever.

To play this game to a decent standard the basics must be correct or you will be like the multitude who could not give  damn about their game and will be forever frustrated.

Mr Payne responded in a rude manner and I am afraid I treated him with the contempt he deserves.

Last edit : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:52
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:53

John,

I saw your original post and whilst it was not intended to be rude, I can understand why the other John took offence at it. 

My statement stands.  It takes the bigger man to rise above and ignore it.  I suggest you both prove you are the bigger man

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 21:06

I would like you to clarify your understanding of my post, Chris, where you feel that I was rude.

This man made a statement to Mr Thomas stating that by moving his left hand over the shaft so that when looked down on the back of the hand is clearly visible, I know ,and you should know what this grip would achieve. I pointed this out and then suggested that the correct way forward was to take the time to learn these basics correctly. Not anywhere in my post is  anything that could be construed as advice on curing a slice. I never offer advice on this forum unless asked personally by PM.

His response was very cutting in his sarcastic reference to my  current handicap of 16.6 following up with another snide remark which you can read for yourself.

If any beginner were to read his response to Mr Thomas and because Mr Payne says it works that it is the way forward then this is not the kind of advice that should be bandied about on a golf forum.

Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 21:14

Your initial 3 paragraphs were fine.  Factual statements and helpful. 

"To play this game to a decent standard the basics must be correct or you will be like the multitude who could not give  damn about their game and will be forever frustrated."

That one, however, came across as condecending.  I thought so on first reading it but knowing you as I do I know it was not intended this way.  However, had someone said this to you John, you would have reacted in exactly the same manner.

I do not want to get into a lengthy debate on this, it's unnecessary.  All I ask is that, as per the acceptable use policy, both parties refrain from personal attacks of any kind. 

Can we please draw a line under this now and get back to topic

Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 22:04

Do moderators get paid?  -  Only in pain and suffering

Do you work a shift system?  -  Only shifting uncomfortably in our seats

Do you have senior moderators and junior moderators?  - Yes but it's a secret.  Even Darren deosn't know 

Who owns this site? -  Darren Ramowski.  Well, he thinks he does....

Do some of the contributors who write articles get paid? -  Knowing Darren, you'd have to pay him

Can you see what I'm typing before I press the 'Submit' button?  -  Yes, but only because I'm stood behind you hiding behind the curtains

Can you see exactly who is on line at any given time?  -  Not at the moment, but it is something that's on Darren's very long list

Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 22:26

Thought you could only see if your buddies were online.  But then, I'm just a mod, what do I know

user90905
Reply : Thu 29th Jul 2010 12:12

When a fade starts to appear with my woods every now and again I always remember what my pro taught me. That is to release the clubhead by "turning your wrists over" on every swing. At first he got me to try and uncock my wrists as I started my downswing and although it felt like I would instantly hook left that just didn't happen in practice! Another bonus is you find your finish position is much improved. A quick session on the range using this soon gets rid of the fade for me. Give it a go Thomas and see if it works for you. Good luck 

user209897
Reply : Sun 1st Aug 2010 00:03

get your weight off your right side when swinging

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top