Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Magnetic wristbands.

Posted by: user41192 | Tue 20th Jul 2010 10:42 | Last Reply

Ok, Im sure there will be a mixed bag of comments on this one.

I have a couple of friends currently wearing these and they have said that they are noticing benefits by doing so. I am very sceptical about things like this and wonder if some people make statements as they feel that they dont want to look a mug by spending money on something completely useless.

Do any golfshke members wear these? What are your views wether you own one or not?

Another question I ask myself is that £19 is not a great deal of money to lose if the product does not work.

Your views are very much appreciated.

re: Magnetic wristbands.
user41192
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 10:53

So it also acts as a fashion accessory Wayne?

So for £19 you can look good, feel good and hopefully play good!

Last edit : Tue 20th Jul 2010 10:54
user24437
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 10:54

Complete tosh I'm afraid.  Lots of tests* have been done on this type of 'woo' therapy devices and not one has shown any real measurable benefits at all.  The only demonstrable effect that these devices have consistently shown is that users often feel a psychological benefit by wearing them, so in that sense they could be said to work.  Having said that, the effect is probably no different than that of other good luck charms and superstitions - such as my insistence in wearing all black when I play competition golf or using my 1956 sixpence as a ball marker.

If it works for you, then use it, but personally I'd use something cheaper.  

* Proper medical double blind trials, not the 'my mate says' type tests.  I've got a few links if anyone is particularly interested.

user26342
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 11:11

I think for every test that disproves it there will be one that proves it

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 11:20

John,

I have wondered for years about the same thing take a look at a few articles I have written.

One being a case study for a magnetic therapy website and the other is a feature on Trion:Z who sent us some products to test out.

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1607/Magnetic_Bracelets_Myth_or_Substance.html

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1691/TrionZ_The_leader_in_Magnetic_Therapy.html

Like Tim says, it could all be psychological but there have been case studies that prove otherwise and it is now being used by hostpitals and doctors as treatments, so read into that as you will.

All down to personal opinion in the end. Hope you find something that suits you.

user24437
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 11:46

Don't get me started on this, I could lose a lot of friends!

From the manufacturers webiste:

Colantotte International dba Trion:Z, nor its distributors, make any claim that any of its products are intended to prevent, cure, mitigate, treat or diagnose illness. If you believe that you have a health problem you should consult a doctor or health professional.

If they don't believe it....

And from the Trion Z website:

Magnetic Therapy is a complimentary and non-invasive natural therapy, deemed a ‘no health risk’ by the World Health Organisation.

That's allright then, how about Wikipwedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minus_ion

It's all in your head. 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 14:32

I gave one a try a couple of years ago.  I suffer with sciatica (although the golf really helps with that) and stiff knees due to a bi-lateral patella release aged 19 and I did find it helped.  All in the head or not I'm not sure but as it worked I don't really care. 

If you want a more practical option, try one of these (other colours are available) -> http://www.breo.com/item/Brand_RoamWatchBlack_195_0_2208_1.html

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 14:40

I'm testing for some nerve issues in my left wrist, neuralgia or something. Will see how it goes.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Aug 2011 13:17

Padraig had all the heat strips on the other day.  Anyone tried those ?  I'd only seen track and field atheletes use up until Harrington, although someone's pointed out some of the footballers use them.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Aug 2011 21:50

I think it's all a con trick.You pay way over the odds for a plastic bracelet, wear it for a while and you think you are playing much better. How long will that last?If you see a professional golfer wearing one they are probably being paid to wear it!Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top