Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Buying Advice

Posted by: user319928 | Tue 20th Jul 2010 09:25 | Last Reply

Hey everyone, got a quick question for you all.

Ive recently begun giving golf a go at the local driving range and thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that im booking a couple of lessons and also looking to pick myself up some clubs so i can attack the local 9 hole course! Now my question comes.....what to buy?

I seem to be getting mixed messages from friends of mine. Some are telling me to pick up a full set of clubs for around £50 (off ebay/sports world etc) whereas others are saying i should look to just buy a decent Driver or 3 wood, 5 iron, 7 iron, pitching wedge and putter as this should be more than enough to get me round a 9 hole course.

So what would you recommend? My budget is around £70, there are a few club sets on ebay for that amount but i cant help but think the quality wont be all that good! On the otherhand i dont have the fund to really splash the cash.

Thanks

re: Buying Advice
user246626
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 10:02

I wouldn't buy off ebay because the seller can easily tell you that all the clubs are in godd condition but when u come to use them they're might be something wrong with them.

You'd be better of going on direct golf or online golf or American golf as you can usually get some good deals on them if you spend a bit of time looking around.

user52922
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 10:20

I most certainly would buy off ebay, I have many times before. Of course I know what I am looking for in the first place and how much  I am prepared to pay. You would never see me in direct golf or online golf or American golf.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 11:23

Hi Andy, slowly compiling a list of online alternatives with some feedback from other members for online golf stores

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/6762/Help_others_Where_do_you_shop_recommend_online_for_golf.html ;

user24437
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 13:59

I started with Rams, not bad at all.  In fact I still use the putter I got in my first set, and the bag when my Nike is being replaced (again).

user16106
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 21:58

Andy

On your budget you should be able to get a good set of wilson fatshafts. Very good for a starter up to intermediate. Best of luck. I always buy off Ebay and if the clubs dont work you will get 90 % of your money back when you sell or upgrade.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 22:09

Andy if you are looking for second hand clubs check out http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/

I've not used but a friend personally knows the guy who runs the company.

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/

Regards, Darren.

user50657
Reply : Wed 21st Jul 2010 00:10

I'm pretty sure the quality of clubs on golfbidder is better than ebay but they also ask a lot more money than ebay.

Andy for £70ish you should get a decent set of starter clubs on ebay, just make sure you get cavity backs and not blades. Names to look out for are, Ram, Wilson, Howson, Hippo etc. I've just sold my Wilson irons and I'm now back to playing my Rams and hitting it better than ever!

user52922
Reply : Wed 21st Jul 2010 10:01

Sorry, Graham, I disagree. I have bought many clubs from ebay over the years and I have always received what I though I was going to receive. I do accept that it takes a little time to learn how to use ebay to your advantage but what you are saying is that if I sell a club on ebay and describe it perfectly as to condition then it is not as good as anything from golfbidder, who buys all their equipment in anyway from sources like the general public.

user52922
Reply : Wed 21st Jul 2010 10:34

Andy, one thing you will learn about this wonderful game as you progress, is that the equipment has very little to do with your results. A good striker will hit the same shot with any club that is around today. One cannot buy a game off the shelf. Do yourself a favour and take up Waynes offer and you will not then spend years in the wilderness wondering why the game is so difficult.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 21st Jul 2010 10:43

Andy,

I would second what Juhn has said above.  Lessons will make a big difference to your game.  I would also suggest that if you are going to buy a single iron that you get a 6 or 7 iron rather than a 5 iron.  There may not seem much difference, but they will be easier to hit and most coaches put a 7 iron in the hands of an absolute beginner as a starting point.

user77012
Reply : Wed 21st Jul 2010 11:24

Set of ping eye 2's you won't go far wrong with these and they will return you exactly what you will pay for them now even in years to come. Going to see Santo is a positive step. Good luck. 

user289859
Reply : Wed 21st Jul 2010 21:48

I started with a set of Dunlop's last year from Sports Direct. They did me nicely until I knew it was something I really wanted to progress with and so I upgraded.

In the grand scheme of things, £70 for a full set of clubs isnt bad at all. It will keep you hacking away for as long as you want!

Reply : Wed 21st Jul 2010 23:03

Now let's see Gary.  You're new to the site.  You have posted two other threads with different titles but very similar content as your post above.  You are linking to website saying that they "sell clubs at unbelievably cheap prices".  Call me cynical, but I heavily suspect the work of a spammer. 

For what it's worth, I know there are a couple of websites out there that are UK based that are selling clubs 5-10% below the RRP.  As the price is so close to the 'normal' price, buyers are less suspicious.  However, these sites are selling cheap Chinese copies.  Just because a site has a "UK ip, UK phone number and even live help" does not mean the clubs are genuine.

user16163
Reply : Thu 22nd Jul 2010 15:34

I have seen your other posts gary and have taken the liberty of emailing the company  asking questions to the validity of the clubs being genuine articles

here is the response i recieved

"Hello,

Thanks for your question. All our clubs are from the original factory, with the same high quality and excellent performance as the ones you could get from your local pro shop and the official website.  They are also brand new.

You can make an order directly on our website. Any further needs, please let me know.

Best Regards!

Marita Smith
wgbuy customer service"

now i know it could just be words, but if they were not genuine clubs then surely you could have a case against them!!!

darren

Reply : Thu 22nd Jul 2010 15:41

I apologise Gary, but I'm sure you can understand my skeptisism, especially as we have suffered a rash of spamming recently

user16163
Reply : Thu 22nd Jul 2010 15:46

LOL

SORRY

duplicates deleted

Reply : Thu 22nd Jul 2010 16:28

Ah but Darren, at no point do they say they are geniune.  Saying they are "from the original factory with the same high quality" to me says that they are fakes.  Otherwise, they would just say "yes they are genuine"

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 22nd Jul 2010 17:52

Chris,

But which factory? Most genuine Club Manufacturers say WAREHOUSE. They say this because the none UK Clubs are shipped in pieces.

TheLyth

user16163
Reply : Fri 23rd Jul 2010 10:09

Hi Andy

i get most of my balls from these guys

http://www.aforedablegolf.com/

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top