Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Seniors flex vs Regular flex Shafts

Posted by: user50657 | Sun 18th Jul 2010 23:58 | Last Reply

What differences are there between these 2 types of shaft?

One of my playing partners is well into his 60's now and he struggles to get his irons high and long now. I was going to suggest he changed his clubs or shafts and get a seniors flex shaft. It's my (possibly misguided) belief is that they stiffer the shaft the more penetrating the ball flight will be. Is this correct?

Cheers

re: Seniors flex vs Regular flex Shafts
user50354
Reply : Mon 19th Jul 2010 08:41

I think the senior flex shafts are more whippy so they generate more club head speed without needing the full back swing - those slazenger big eeeze woks on a stick have them..

Could be wrong though best wait for a reply from one of our old seasoned pro's  - you there Tony,.

user52922
Reply : Mon 19th Jul 2010 09:01

Graham, some people are very strong still into their sixties and even beyond,personally I now find that I am pretty weak and need the help of the soft regular shafts.

I have just been fitted for my old blades and the stiff shafts are coming out and True Temper very light steel shafts with a flex bordering on the bottom of regular and the top of Senior with a softer tip. I am hoping that these will do the trick for me.

user50657
Reply : Tue 20th Jul 2010 23:50

I was discussing this today with my local pro. He was saying to much emphasis is put on the flex of the shaft and they key element is the load on the shaft. I've been using Wilsons with a regular steel shaft but I've now sold them and gone back to my original Ram Irons with a regular graphite shaft and I have to say today I was hitting them better than ever. I was gonna buy some new irons but I may just stick to my Rams for the time being. I can't afford new clubs at the moment and was just looking at 2nd hand, so I may just wait now.

Sanders that was a very inetersting article you linked to ^^^^

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top