Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Dead Man Golfing!!!!

Posted by: user10367 | Wed 14th Jul 2010 12:39 | Last Reply

Makers of scary movies have a couple of locations that always seem to have the desired creepy effect. For example that old house on the hill with the creaky door and the lightning storm. Or the graveyard that seems to be in perpetual fog. Or Woking Golf Club!!

In 1892, the club acquired it's land from one Necropolis Company, Necropolis (meaning "city of the dead" had lenty of land available - they had got it cheap to build cemertaries on. Some decades later, when cheap surburban trains fares gave Woking a thriving (and living)populace, it was sold on to the golf club. To this day players approaching the 18th tell of a spectre screaming from the bunkers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

re: Dead Man Golfing!!!!
user26342
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 12:47

That's just Chris Watmore shouting at the greenkeepers

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 13:04

Woking G.C. is a great course and still maintains the old traditions. i.e it is primarily a two ball only course.

Long carries over heather demand good tee shots, (So that cuts me out). Together with West Hill and Worplesdon it would be hard to find three courses so close together of the same quality.

user24437
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 14:41

Scary, Wayne.  However, I once played South Winchester and kept seeing the spectre of a white haired old man roaming around the course in a buggy.  Every time I saw it there was a strange moaning sound, not sure but it sounded like 'ooh, my back, ooh my knees'.

Be interested to see if anyone else has come across this ghostly figure... 

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 16:05

I will keep my mouth shut at Grassmoor, Hawkins. I see we have been drawn to play together.

user24437
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 16:09

Couldn't resist it John, sorry!  Looking forward to a round together though, will be great to see you

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 16:30

Now that you are a much better player than me, Tin, I will be looking for some tips.

A long drive for me but I think it will be worth it

user24437
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 17:20

Ah, I never noticed the handicap!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top