Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Old or New Driver? Function over Form?

Posted by: user311126 | Mon 5th Jul 2010 10:22 | Last Reply

Hi Guys,

Been playing for a few months now started with a 2nd hand set of howsons (about 15 years old and fairly worn in), have now traded up thanks to ebay to a set of wilson staff di6 irons and 3 wood (stiff) and mizuno mx500 11.5deg driver (all in very good condition).

The problem i have is - first ever round shot a 95 - driving (3 wood) and irons excellent but pitching, chipping putting terrible.(with the howsons), after that i traded up and have not been confident ever since with the new 3 wood and driver.

They feel too light and i actually like the feel of the old battered howson woods with big metal heads and steel shafts.

I have had 2 lessons just on driving with the new ones and still dont feel confident - went the range on saturday and took the old howson 3 wood and even when i was over the ball felt super confident - hit 10 and 7 took off on identical flights high and striaght and reasonably long (say 190 carry).

The pro was their and i asked him to watch as i hit 2 with each club and lo and behold all were smashed down the middle!!  So he says its all in my mind!!Argh!!

I am looking for any advice and also - i understand technology etc has moved incredibly but if you can hit an old battered club and are happy with it shouldnt i just go with it? or is it snobbery on the course that would make you use the newer clubs??

Hope ou understand what im getting at!

re: Old or New Driver? Function over Form?
user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Jul 2010 17:53

With you all the way, Stuart, no need at all for all this new fangled gear. Good golf clubs have been made for the last seventy years.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top