Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Well, I've managed one of my goals for this year!

Posted by: user24437 | Fri 2nd Jul 2010 00:30 | Last Reply

Played Grassmoor near Chesterfield this evening with some fellow CGL members (cheers James, Kev and John).  It's not the toughest or prettiest course in the world, but with a pretty stiff breeze it was playing more like a links course than parkland so a decent test.  James and Kev were playing their CGL strokeplay round so there wasn't really any pressure on me, and given my form of recent weeks was probably just as well.  So I got a par on the first, followed by a bogey, then a par and by the time we reached the turn I'd carded 5 pars and bogeys on the rest and realised that I was probably building a decent score.  I've been there before though and generally suffer a collapse (sometimes major, more recently less serious) on the back nine, but this time it never happened and managed to go round in 79!  My first ever sub 80 and one of my goals for this year, so pretty pleased with myself this evening.

And as it happens, a hefty 1.2 off my handicap - Chris 

re: Well, I've managed one of my goals for this year!
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 00:52

Nice one!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 08:46

Congrats Tim.  Just as I get ahead of you, you always seem to pull one of those out of the bag. 

I did what you feared last night.  Carded 84 with 6 (six) penalties on the card, 3 of them on the last 5 holes.  One of the first penalties was a double hit!  Had I not taken 3 off the tee on the last, I could've carded a PB (currently 83). 

I'll get you Hawkins.  Forget the race to Dubai, the race to Wychwood on is!!!!!

Last edit : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 09:16
user24437
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 11:52

To be honest Chris I noticed you'd dropped again yesterday before I went.  However, I'd not been playing particularly well in the last few rounds, just about struggling to get near handicap and creeping up slowly so didn't expect much of an improvement.  So, I was really pleased with yesterdays round even though it seemed so uneventful, which I suppose if it was because nothing went wrong - no penalties at all and only two bunkers that I remember.  I also managed the course well, on a couple of occasions just laying up to about 70 yards to give me a better shot into the greens.  Bring on Wychwood via Arden!

PS  Phil - you've got to believe it's possible mate, I was at 20.7 this time last year and a score like that was just fantasy but it can happen.

user52922
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 12:16

Well done, Tim, not before time in my opinion. Repeat it at Arden and you will certainly be at Wychwood to join me.

user77012
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 12:18

Show off!! thats for you JP , well done Tim it's easier to score better than protect an hcp

Last edit : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 12:20
user41897
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 12:25

Well done Tim.

user52922
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 12:38

You will just have to make an effort at South Winchester, Leyo. I didn't make the countback rule, something I have always disagreed with.

user77012
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 12:57

I will try my best John as always, off playing in a charity day looking forward to trying out my new driver that Ivan built me . Looks the dogs genitals only bad point it has a George cross on it ! not a good look here in Wales

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top