Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing Partner - Derby, Nottingham area

Posted by: user295097 | Thu 1st Jul 2010 14:50 | Last Reply

Any body intrested in playing on Saturdays and some evenings apart from Sundays in the Derby or Nottingham area. Playing off 16 at the moment aiming lower

re: Playing Partner - Derby, Nottingham area
user16163
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 17:45

hi paul

i live in nottingham and work in derby (for my sins lol)

could possibly do some evenings if around the derby are as i dont finish un till 4-30/5pm

most of my saturdays are taken up with 1 thing or another but might be able to fit a round in now and again

also have you checked out another online society county golf league

www.countygolfleague.com

we are a very friendly bunch of people who play at least once a month in and around the derby/notts/sheffield/south yorkshire areas

free to register and a greeat bunch of guys

hope to see you soon

regards

darren

user295097
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 18:20

Hi Darren,

I will check that out I finish work about 4.30pm Monday to Thursday, Friday 4.0opm so we could one night tee off about 5.30 - 6.00 at either Moely Haye or Allestree Park, let me know when and were July 17th to 26th in Wales Hols and loads of Golf playing Celtic Manor and a few others! but don't tell the wife!!

user131525
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 06:44

I work in Ashbourne and live in Belper Paul and grew up playing Allestree Park and Chevin.  We often have a twighlight game at this time of year, although there seemed to be a lot less light around last night!

As Darren says, check out http://www.countygolfleague.com/  We have some good craic and, occasionally, some good golf.  Our next society game is on a Saturday http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/5796/ and is also our charity day in aid of Cancer Research UK at Grassmoor in Chesterfield.

Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to find out more.

user295097
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 08:21

Hi James

Yes light came down quickley but I think it was becuase of the rain that was coming but I have been up there last week about 9.30 still good light. I have just signed up for county golf league! I was going to come to the Grassmore event but I am away that day. But be good to play 18 with you one day i am always up for the crack but also love my golf! Have you played any of the Golf Shake & Gtour events? Also when is the next society day after Grassmore. I have played Allestree, Shirland, Morley Hayes never played Chevin, play Alestree because 10 mins from were I work so after work just get up there. I know Morley Hayes Twighlight is £16.00. 

user295097
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 09:03

Bandits!!!

user131525
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 10:33

You can talk Ged after the way you played at Bondhay!

user52922
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 12:36

In days gone by, Ivan, golf courses were designed for players of all abilities and ages. This meant of course, that hazards were placed to capture the offline shots with bunkers and rough left and right of the faiways. There was always a route to the green along the ground.

Now of course we have a plethora of courses that do not cater for the majority as they have been designed to only allow for the ball to played through the air and onto a receptive putting surface, thus taking away from a large section of the golfing fraternity who just cannot carry over these large hazards. This has taken away the skills that were required in the older days to be able to work a ball, using the contours of the land playing to very fast, non holding greens.

If target golf is what you feel is the way forward then who am I to argue with you. ONly a mechanical swing is required for this kind of golf and that is not much fun, certainly not to me.

You will have noticed that we now have a plethora of young players with handicaps well into the plus category and one would then say that the standards have improved.

Well, this is hogwash, because the inception of the decimal handicap system has allowed the 1, 2 and three handicappers the leeway of 10 rounds before moving one shot to be able to get under the scratch and maintain it very easily. This of course means we have players who think they are far better than what they actually really are.

Every club I go to has these very nice young men hoping to make it as a professional, yet none of them have even played the top amateur circuit, and I say to them, if you cannot win there then you have no chance with the big boys.

user24437
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 13:40

Never realised you were from round here Ivan, last time I went over to Peewit I thought it was closed as it seemed to be fairly derelict.  Was a couple of years ago though.  Give me a shout if you're serious about Erewash Valley, I've never played it despite only being ten minutes away.  I've only heard good things about it, but only to play it in the summer when the quarry holes are open.

user24437
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 14:26

You're on, although you'll have to have it in sixpences as I've got nothing bigger!

So you were the one that went to the school in Ilkeston then? 

user11501
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 21:05

i'll be up for a game at erewash tim, as i like that course and would recommend to anyone. If you want can try and arrange a game maybe next friday and play malc at the same time !!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top