Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

3 Wood

Posted by: user236642 | Thu 1st Jul 2010 12:29 | Last Reply

After agian digging my callaway fti driver out of the shed and failing again to hit it anywhere i decided i'm still not confident enough with drivers.

So my attention turns to my 3 wood, i'm very confident off the tee with this club with a range of around 200 yards (i know this isn ot long at all). But i use a ten year old FILA yes FILA 3 wood the chaviest club one could possibly use.

So basically can anyone recommended a decent 3 wood for me to try out.

Cheers

re: 3 Wood
user90905
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 12:41

Hi Paul, I have a a 2009 cleveland launcher 3 wood and it's the easiest to hit i've ever owned. The head is large enough for us higher h/cappers but still shallow enough to hit off the deck. As there is now a new dst model out you can pick them up at a sensible price too! The shaft is a fujikura so top quality all the way!

user77012
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 13:20

I would agree with Dave R launcher  wood excellent not only of the tee but sits nice on the fairway. I have one in my collection 13* and is not much different in distance as a driver.My personal fav 3 wood and has been stuck in the bag for 4years that's a massive endorsment for a club if you new what i was like for changing.It's a Bridgestone J33 15* a good one should be no more than £50 on the bay.

.Good luck

Yep, nothing wrong with MD stuff havn't come across a bad bit of kit they produce.

Last edit : Thu 1st Jul 2010 13:21
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 14:17

I have the Callaway Diablo (last years model, not the edge).  Absolutely brilliant and the Aldila DVS shaft in it is superb.  It's only about 20 yards shorter than my driver and I have no qualms about using it off the deck. 

I was playing off 21 when I was custom fitted for it at the Belfry so it would be OK for you too

user69191
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 17:16

Have to agree about  the Bridgestone J33, onlinegolf have them new for under £60

user249845
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 21:45

On the 3 wood thing, I think I might sound like a bit of a weirdo here as 3 wood has to be by far my least favourite club.

I find it much easier and more consistent to play the driver. When I hit 3 wood, its usually more in hope than expectation.

I've never been able to understand when newcomers to the game are recommended to use a 3 wood instead of the driver. I am seriously considering ditching my 3 wood to make my bag lighter.

user236642
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 13:56

Cheers for the info guys, i'll keep a look out for these clubs and give em a go.

user38216
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 14:22

"One of the reasons most golfers struggle with drivers is because they do not have enough loft. I have a swing speed / loft table to go on this site once Darren persuades the site computer to accept tables! Golfers have an average swing speed of 87mph and, all else being equal, such requires 13d of loft."

I couldn't agree more, I use a 13 degree driver with a regular low launch shaft and get good results. I dont carry a 3 wood its well hidden in my garage which is the best place for it

user24437
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 14:29

I think the thing is not to get too hung up about your driver Paul.  I went through a period not so long ago when I was hitting mine a fair distance (a Dave Ley special - MD Superstrong with a Pro Launch blue shaft) but have since suffered a bit of a crisis of confidence with it and have reverted to the wild slice of old.  In terms of my game it just isn't reliable enough so I've stopped using it for now, instead I use my 3 and 5 woods which I'm confident of hitting straight (at the moment), in the meantime I'll keep working on the driver.  I don't find I'm losing a significant distance but being on the fairway does wonders for the confidence (although I did run it through the fairway the other day, which at 250 yds surprised the hell out of me - but it was from an elevated tee on bone hard ground).  Am half-convinced the driver problem is that I don't particularly like the massive heads on modern kit, my MD woods are pretty small and I don't have problems with them - so am now tempted to see what would happen if I got my old Forgan driver and put a decent shaft in it.

OK, Dave warned me it was too stiff - but did I listen?  It's being swapped for a Aldila DVS 60 R soon... 

user24437
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 14:42

Did someone just say something?

user298481
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 14:49

I have a swing speed way in excess of above quoted 87mph average but still play an effective loft of 11.5 deg, nice flight, 270 carry, bobs your uncle, drivers are pretty easy to get away these days imho

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 16:07

I wish I could say the same, Ian.

user127691
Reply : Wed 14th Jul 2010 16:54

It was a toss up for me between the Cleveland Launcher and the titleist F2.

At the time the Launcher was new so was around £100 so I had the F2 as I could get an ex-demo club for £90 and this has a vodoo shaft which is much better than the stock fujikura in the Launcher. I know the F2 still retails at about £130 so if you can get a launcher for £50 Iwould snap it up. I have the launcher 19 degree rescue and it's a brilliant club.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top