Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

wedge dilemma

Posted by: user262865 | Thu 1st Jul 2010 09:32 | Last Reply

ive recently decided id like to carry 4 wedges in my bag, those being a pw, gap wedge, sand wedge and 60 deg lob wedge as i feel it would be of benefit to me around the greens but that would take me to 15 clubs which is obviusly one too many so im in a bit of a pickle as to what club i should leave out.

at the minute in my bag ive got

driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrid 3 (instead of 3 iron), 4iron, 5 iron, 6 iron, 7 iron, 8 iron, 9 iron, pw, sw, lw and obviously my putter. but id like to change my 64 deg lw for a 60 deg and get a gap wedge for the distance between my pw and sw.

what do any of you guys who carry 4 wedges leave out and why please?

Last edit : Thu 1st Jul 2010 09:33
re: wedge dilemma
user298481
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 09:48

i have that 4 wedge set up but dont carry the 5 wood. I dont know where i would use a 5 wood anyway really.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 10:06

When I made the same decision, I dropped the LW out and got a 58* SW instead of a 56* SW.  I found this was a very small compromise and didn't really hurt me as I rarely used the 60* LW anyway.  I've recently replaced the 58* SW with a 56* SW and have yet to come across a situation where it has caused me a problem 

user77012
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 10:10

Defo 5 wood , I would never take an Iron out as a replacement. Agree Ian I think 5 woods are on the way out , I opt for a 7 wood much more versatile than a 5 and i can hit the same distance as a 5 if i need to, Great out of the 1st & 2nd cuts and can cope easily with high trees.

user50657
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 13:30

I carry a 45PW, 50GW, 56SW and 60LW. I do without a 5 wood, as I can hit my 3 wood about 220yds and my 3 hybrid comes in at about 200 yds so didn't see any point in carrying a 5 wood. I use all of the wedges and would rarely use the 5 wood.

user217280
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 14:39

I use a PW and SW thats it, I prefer to open the face if I want more loft, I don't score any worse if I play with a half set so I think the extra wedges are a waste of money, I agree with Seve, learn to play different shots with a couple of wedges, Its more fun, but that's just me.  

user52922
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 17:50

With all this ability you are talking about, Colin, I would expect your handicap to be much lower than it is.

You are stating that your long game is pretty sound, so perhaps four wedges might help you out.

user52922
Reply : Fri 2nd Jul 2010 18:54

Well,Colin, I can only wish you good luck with your knee problem., I have been there myself and I know how difficult it is to cope with when attempting to hit the little white ball.

Having said that I still believe that it is the short game that reduces your handicap and although I only ever used to play with two wedges in my better days, I have now found uses for all of the four I now use.

user131525
Reply : Sat 3rd Jul 2010 09:46

You're dead right it's the short game John.

I posted this on another thread but, I played the par 3 course at Ramsdale Park in Nottingham a few weeks ago, taking 67 to go round.  The previous week I had been lucky enough to play the PGA National at the Belfry, shooting an 87 - only 20 shots difference!

I'm taking my 8 year old daughter to the local pitch and putt today, we'll see what happens then!

user52922
Reply : Sat 3rd Jul 2010 10:05

I know how you feel, James.

Many years ago I rented a villa on an golf development in Lakeland, Florida. The course was Cypress Lakes. On arrival the next door neighbour, who was the keyholder saw that I was unloading my golf clubs and suggested we npped round and play the 18 hole par 3 course.

This course was stunning and were all full sized par 3's with lush vegetation and water everywhere. I shot 68, a pretty dismal score.

The following day I played the 6500 yard main course and, yes, shot 68 again. Funny old game.

user131525
Reply : Sat 3rd Jul 2010 15:48

Well, just got back from the pitch and putt and shot a 64 with only a 9 iron and a putter.  Putting was a lottery as there were no greens to speak of and a couple of missing flags on two of the holes.  Scored a narrow victory over my 8 year old (who I was giving 3 shots a hole).  Mmm, thinking I might be getting a bit too competitive here!

Now then, that's 3 less than my round at Ramsdale Park, where I carried a full set of clubs and played off "proper" tees rather than mats.  Interesting.

One interesting thing I observed was two teenagers arguing over who was the better player.  One had managed to hit it 171 yards (he paced it out while I was watching) and claimed this made him far superior while his mate had hit it about 130 and clearly though he was better.  The length of the hole? 108 yards!  I had to have a little chuckle to myself!

Last edit : Sat 3rd Jul 2010 15:50

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top