Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Disaster Areas!!!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 22nd Jun 2010 20:19 | Last Reply

Am I the only person who has a few disaster areas on my home courses?

The last three times I've played the third hole on the Priors Course I've thinned my approach shot through the back of the green and OOBs!

It's a par 5 hole, 471 yards.  So I take a driver and then whatever iron I need to leave me about 100 yards short of the green.

This hole has two bunkers about 40 or 50 yards short of the green, and with the out of bounds behind it makes going for the green in two an unattractive option.

Today I played this hole, hit my driver which went about 240 yards but just off the fairway to the right.  I then hit my 8 iron to the end of the fairway.

When I arrived at my golf ball my SkyCaddie said I had 88 yards to the flag.  Allowing for the slight breeze from behind and for the ball to run a couple of yards I decided on 80 yards as the distance needed to get the ball close.

80 yards is a three quarter swing with my 53 degree gap wedge.

I've had a couple of practice swings and then set myself up for the shot.

Taking my time I made my swing, and low and behold I thinned it through the back of the green and out of bounds!

Dropped another ball and got it onto the green, then I was so angry with myself that I hit my first putt way to hard and put it nine feet past the flag, so I ended up three putting.

Shot 8 on a hole that I should have got a par on.

So does anyone else have problem areas on their home course?

Russ 

re: Disaster Areas!!!
user217280
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 14:29

I havent got a disaster area as such but I have trouble parring a certain par 3 on my home course, it is around 200-220 long depending where the tee is, The green has a ditch and trees to the left and it causes me to hold the club head off because I fear going in to the trees or the ditch, but I end up missing on the right which is then a difficult up and down so I tend to bogey more times than I par the hole, The thing is on a par 3 it is dificult to play the hole any other way than go for the green, but when I have had any problems occuring on the same hole again and again I try to play the hole differently so maybe a shorter iron off the tee to leave a different club in to the green, just to change the mindset, because it will be all in the mind, try leaving 150 yards in to the green for a couple of rounds to break the habit.    

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top