Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ben

Posted by: user313214 | Tue 22nd Jun 2010 15:56 | Last Reply

Hi,

I would be gratefull for some well informed advice.  Sunday I won our Golf Clubs Winter League Tournament.  Basically after qualifying for the final it was eventually played Sunday.  It was off yellow boxes and a Medal Better Ball competion.  I am a 13 handicap Golfer but had to play off ten.

To cut a long story short, I had the round of my life.  I scored on 15 of the 18 holes and we came in with a Nett 63.  Second place was a count back between 4 teams all scoring Nett 67.

This was all fantastic until I went up the club today.  I have been cut from 13 to 10.  I have received all sorts of advice for this some saying i cannot be pulled in a betterBall Comp.  Others saying general play is only used to adjust one shot.

I feel I have a good arguement to write to the Committee.  I would be very gratefull for any factuall advice with references to rules and also anyones general opinion. 

Its not so much loosing the 3 shots, its more the principal. By the way I have been a member at this club for 4 years and have never won anything there before but I play in all the qualifiers and as many Comps as poss.

Many thanks.

Ben (South Wales)

re: Ben
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Jun 2010 20:34

You could find out who the handicap secretary is and ask him about this matter.

As far as I know you can be cut on general play, and I'm not sure that there is any limit on what you can be cut.

Try looking on the CONGU website as they may be able to settle this matter for you.

Seeing as you were playing in a pairs comp I think they have been very harsh with this handicap cut.

Russ

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Jun 2010 23:25

Ben/Wayne,

You don't show your actual Hcp. If it was 12.5 and you are now 10.3, that is a drop of 2.2 and equal to 11 shots better than SSS. Even if the Scorecard shows your score for 15/18holes and they (the committee) took the other three as Nett +2 it still doesn't work out. Don't the Committees have to show why they 'pull' someones Hcp.

Strange goings on.

TheLyth

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 00:12

Ben,

I think you have been 'Targeted'. For people to ask what you scored on the holes not listed is showing the search for an excuse to Pull.

You can't be pulled on a guesstimate, but the committee have every right to pull on general play, but General Play is a number of rounds that are showing that a player is better than his/her Hcp.

If you played in a number of 4BBB Comps and returned Nett 63's & 64's on a regular basis, then posted a Nett 66 in a Medal you could expect a General Play pull.

TheLyth

Last edit : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 00:13
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 00:53

Ben check out the CONGU site for info on review of golf handicaps

http://www.congu.com/template2.asp?pid=60&parent=33&parent2=60

23/3 Arbitrary General Play Adjustments

Q. My club routinely reduces the handicap of players who play more than five shots under their handicap by at least one shot more than the reduction applied by the UHS. They call this a General Play cut. Is this acceptable?

A. Absolutely not, if the score is just one isolated score. An extra reduction on the basis of just one exceptional score cannot be justified in any circumstances. A General Play Adjustment is exactly that - a reduction/increase based on the general play of the player. However, if there is a pattern over time that indicates the player is playing better than expected for his Handicap Category then a Committee would be justified in applying a General Play Adjustment.

General Play Adjustments are merely reactions to exceptional situations that can occur through the season. Any adjustments should be made under the same criteria used in the Annual Review. It would not be expected, on other than medical grounds, for a General Play Adjustment to be used to make an upward adjustment of handicap. Any such adjustment should be applied at the Annual Review.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top