Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Newbie Rules Question

Posted by: user311126 | Tue 22nd Jun 2010 10:44 | Last Reply

Only been playing a few months very socially but think i may have the rules wrong.

A few scenarios..Are they correct?

1. 1st shot i drive oob, i then play another shot off the tee as my 3rd shot.

2. 1st shot i drive and think ive lost ball in thick rough, i then play a provisional ball.  If the first ball cant be found i continue with provisional on 4th shot.

3. 1st shot i drive in to water - i then drop whre it went in to water 2 club lengths not neared th hole etc and next shot is 3rd.

4. Can someone please explain red and yellow water markers - currently ive been playing them as number 3 above but whats the difference?

Many thanks

Stuart

re: Newbie Rules Question
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Jun 2010 10:53

1, 2 & 3 are correct.

4: Taking the second one first (Yellow Stakes), if the ball last crosses the margin of the "Water Hazard" (Not lateral) then the player has two options under

Rule 26-1a: Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played

or 26-1b: Drop a ball behind the water hazard keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped.

If the ball crosses the margin of a "Lateral Water Hazard" (Red stakes), the the playe may take an optional

Rule 26-1c: Drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

As your ball had hit the further bank and then rolled back into Red Stakes, you can take relief from Rule 26-1c. Ifyour ball had hit the water and then ended up in the Red staked area then you would have to proceed under Rule 21-1a or 21-1-b.

The relief under Rule 21-1c is only valid if your water has an edge to it. If it is a ring of water surrounding a green then you couldn;t drop it "sideways" so you would proceed under 21-1a or 21-1b

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Jun 2010 13:10

Dennis,

I followed your well written post until??????????????

Ifyour ball had hit the water and then ended up in the Red staked area then you would have to proceed under Rule 21-1a or 21-1-b.

The relief under Rule 21-1c is only valid if your water has an edge to it. If it is a ring of water surrounding a green then you couldn;t drop it "sideways" so you would proceed under 21-1a or 21-1b

What do you mean?

TheLyth

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 09:03

I think you have either completely misunderstood or posted on the wrong thread Bob

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Jul 2010 16:24

As a lazy guide to yellow and red water hazard posts....

Yellow means you go back behind the hazard.

Drop the ball in line with the point at which your ball crossed the hazard and the flag

Red means you can drop your ball to the side of the hazard

For some reason on other you cannot go back behind the hazard so you are allowed to drop to the side.   A good example would be a ditch running down the side of the fairway.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top