Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Where do you drop shots

Posted by: user101705 | Tue 15th Jun 2010 17:28 | Last Reply

Hi

Got a question for everyone.  I'm a high handicap player (currently off 24) and have started recording some statistics about my play to see which areas on my game I need to work on more.  Anyway as a 24 handicapper where would I expect to drop shots ?  Is 36 putts per round normal for my handicap ?  Is hitting 60% of fairways OK ?  Should I expect to hit 4 greens in regulation per round?   and so on..   I think its my short game that needs the most work but would be interested in working out where I am dropping the most shots.

Thanks

re: Where do you drop shots
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 21:33

It's not as simple as that Paul.  There's no rule of thumb per se.  For example, I don't hit as many greens as I should, but I have a pretty good short game so can recover from it. 

Reducing your putts to around the 30-32 mark would be a good start, as this would mean you are either improving your putting, improving your short game, improving your approach accuracy or a combination of these.  

user231221
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 21:55

i would agree with Chris, concentrate on your short game and putting and that should knock a few shots of every round. 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 16th Jun 2010 08:17

Matt,

Try taking a 3 wood or an iron off the tee.  Being 180 yards down the hole and in play is much better than being 250 yards down and unplayable.  Think of it like this; two 7 irons will put you 300 yards down the middle, a driver into the trees and a chip out sideways will put you 250 yards down the middle.  If you are on a 380 yard par 4, that means that you could be 80 yards or 130 yards away for your approach.  I know which I'd prefer 

user127691
Reply : Thu 17th Jun 2010 12:49

I'm averaging 39 putts per round for the 3 rounds I've added my advanced stats for so I think I know where I'm dropping shots.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top