Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Iron Shaft Advice - What's Good?

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 15th Jun 2010 17:13 | Last Reply

I'm thinking of upgrading my irons (they aren't shiny anymore) and have narrowed down my choices to having pretty much made a decision, but I'm unsure as to shaft choices.  I'm not talking about flex here, I'm talking about manufacturer.  So far my possible options are: -

• Dynamic Gold (standard fit)
  • Project X Rifle (I currently play with Precision rifle shafts)
  • KBS (may take a little getting used to but feel quite good)

I've tried the Nippon shafts but don't like them so they are off the list.  Does anyone have any knowledge/experience/opinions that can tell me anything about the options above?  Or are there other options I should consider?  Should I get them frequency tuned and PUREd?  Does it really make a difference? 

I have my opinions but I'm interested to get some independent advice. 

re: Iron Shaft Advice - What's Good?
user24437
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 17:32

Plastic ones with your swing Chris!

I love the look of Rifle shafts, but that shouldn't have any bearing on your decision, I'd leave it up to the experts who'll be along later.  My own opinions on FT and PUREd shafts is, unsurprisingly, that's it's a waste of time, yet another gimmick to relieve the gullible punter of some more cash.  It's true that the theory is probably sound, and in the hands of a pro it may make some difference, but for us hackers it's a complete waste.

I know the theory behind it, would be interested to know what people think it is and why it makes a difference. 

user52922
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 18:29

Chris, I have been notified by email of a PM from you and Dean Elliot but there is nothing in my inbox. Looks as the system has broken down somewhere.

user109604
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 18:42

Mine was the groups and tee times for Friday John, they are on the message board of the game page, I can re send if you want.

user52922
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 18:52

I have had that one, Dean just notified that you had sent another one, that's all.

user109604
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 19:28

Its busted then John, I haven't sent anything since the groups and tees.

user52922
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 20:03

I honestly believe that one should use the softest shaft that one can control. This will give extra distance and an amount of feel that probably some have never had.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 21:41

Hi John,

The PM was how to pay for the West Mids Qualifier.  I'll resend it.

On the shafts subject, I'm going to a stiffer shaft becuase I am struggling to contol my current 5.0 rifles with my swing speed and especially my tempo.  As I said though, the question was not so much about the flex, more about which type of shaft is best. 

Chris - I was aware of the background to the KBS shaft and the theory behind hardstepping/softstepping.  Is there a simple chart or something that gives a comparison of flexes eg a Project X 5.5 is the same as a KBS stiff

Reply : Wed 16th Jun 2010 23:27

I was hoping he would rise to the bait and everyone on here would get the benefit of his knowledge.  Looks like I'm gonna have to prod him directly

user77012
Reply : Thu 17th Jun 2010 13:30

Chris , you suprised me with the knock back of the NS Pros they're a shaft I have in a few of my sets GH1150 s tours and they play very much like my 5.5 rifles. Never hit a Project x that I  have liked to be honest but the KBS tours are ok but not my go to clubs if you understand me. What I would recommend you look at knowing your swing and tempo are the r400's and a lot cheaper than the others. They play firmer than reg IMO. 

user115085
Reply : Thu 17th Jun 2010 13:43

Chris - which Nippon's did you try? - like many manufacturers they produce shafts in many different shapes and sizes. I have some in a set of Nickent's that are the 1180GH (stiff) and are quite nice. Curiosity has got the better of me and I've finally got round to building a set with 6.0 rifles (older Precision Rifle "Diamond" model) - exactly the same heads as my other ones, so will be able to do a like for like comparison tonight on the range.

user77012
Reply : Thu 17th Jun 2010 15:02

They will be slightly stiffer Chris but no problem for you , nice combo the Nickents and Ns's an underated golf club , but not to those who know

Reply : Thu 17th Jun 2010 15:04

I tried several shafts during a fitting session at the Belfry about 3 weeks ago, all in stiff with a Mizuno MP62 head.  I currently play the orginal rifles (Precision) from before they were sold to true temper in a 5.0. 

Can't remember the exact Nippons I tried, but I think it was the NS950.  Don't know what it was, but after just three balls I knew I didn't like them; the balance just felt all wrong to me.  I personally found the Project X 5.5 a little dead but the results were good.  The DG's didn't really inspire me and felt like a stock mass produced shaft.  The KBS took me a couple of shots to get used to but the feedback was pretty good compared to the Project X.  However, I don't know much about them except they are designed by Kim Braly, the guy who designed the orginal rifles. 

Don't know if it makes a difference, but it's looking likely these will be fitted into Titleist CB 710 heads

user77012
Reply : Thu 17th Jun 2010 15:27

The NS950 are miles away from the others the 950 stands for 95g's the others are 110+. So would feel very srange to you I'm sure you would have liked the NS 1150 GH .Off to wip some a#se now!

user115085
Reply : Fri 18th Jun 2010 14:07

Well I took the new irons (Rifles) up to the range last night and took along my old 7 iron (NS Pro) to compare. I was expecting a much lower ball flight from the rifles but this was not the case - they were probably similar at the apex to the Nippons but the interesting thing was how they got up quick and had much better hang time. Instead of just rising and then dropping out of the sky the rifles seem to give more forward momentum. Whether or not I have lost some of the stopping ability with the different flight remains to be seen. The Rifles have a "chunkier" profile and felt heavier - to me this is a good thing. They felt more stable through impact and I felt more confident when going hard at the ball. The characteristic shhhhh-ting of the Rifle Diamonds is quite amusing too!

I have been to the range again this morning and then for a knock arround the par 3 at Rother valley. What struck me this time was how nice the Rifles felt on short pitches and chips. I was worried I may have to swing harder with the weight andstiffness increase - but they worked very nicely and gave great feedback.

All in all very impressed with the Rifles - not the result I was quite expecting, but very happy.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top