Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Its all gone pear shaped, terrible weekend.

Posted by: user15152 | Mon 14th Jun 2010 10:52 | Last Reply

Had the weekend from hell to cement what has been the quickest decline in golfing ability probably ever seen. Two weeks from near single figure level player to complete chopper.

Have been on the range the whole of last week as my swings gone out of place, ball striking and everything all gone wrong. Had to play in the Clubs Medal Saturday despite not feeling anywhere near confident, but is a requirement for Club Champs weekend. So went out at 7:!5 in the morning made a 7 down the Par 4 1st and without losing a ball or hitting it into trouble. Just failed miserable to hit the ball correctly the correct number of times. On the 2nd turned it round and made a nice Par, then Birdied the following Par 3 and Par 4 thanks to good shortgame shots. Started thinking I was getting back into the swing of it, relaxed and then made an 8 on the next Par 4, again much like the 1st never picked up any penalties so why the high score. Followed it with a 6 & 5 on the following two Par 3s before going 5 & 6 on the final two Par 4s on the front 9.

Got on the 10th tee and got a long hold up as a guy starting his round in the group in front got to the green before realising he'd left his putter in the boot of his car. Rather then let us play through he run all the way back to the car park to fetch it. I was just making my swing on the tee as he decided to run from car park across the tee box and start his way back towards his group. My playing partners screamed for me to stop and try as I might to do a Tiger and check my swing, I could only toe-end it over the fence OB. Not happy now. Reload and hits my 3rd shot into a copse of trees. Chips out sideways and proceeds to shank shot number 5 OB. Had enough at this point so for the 1st time in 12 months recorded my 1st NR.

Thought the day was over there but oh no, still had an 18 Hole 1st Team League Match to play in the afternoon. My usual partner was away for the weekend so I got matched up with a new guy who hadn't played a competitive game for 12 months. We then got a shock when we were sent out against the oppositions teams young +2 handicaper golfer. Talk about Lambs to the Slaughter, got smashed 6&5 and had to endure the most cocky and arrogant behavour for the round. Did something totally out of character for me and after the winning putt went in on the 13th just turned round and walked back to the clubhouse, Never carried on and played in with them or my partner. Okay I can understand I'm not going to beat a +2 handicap golfer off scratch in matchplay, but I never even hit one telling shot. I also didn't like his attitude and some of his tactics, could have happily punched him in the mouth a few times when he made comments.

Went out for some practice last night after work and only managed 7 holes before getting fedup with the shots I was hitting and came in. I'm at the stage now where I don't want to play competitively now until I'm sorted out. The worst bit is after a week on the range, obviously can't sort it myself so may now have to resort to seeking professional help.

re: Its all gone pear shaped, terrible weekend.
user90905
Reply : Mon 14th Jun 2010 12:20

Hi Chris, Sounds from this and a couple of earlier posts as though you are putting yourself under a lot of pressure to improve. I'm guessing you are almost at the stage where you are almost scared to hit the ball! Most of the problems may be in your head not your swing.I had a spell just like this a couple of years ago and really didn't want to play as the ball was going anywhere. However after a couple of weeks without a game I went out and shot a really low score on a tough course. I'm sure it was because I didn't expect much and just concentrated on hitting the ball without any swing thoughts goin' on to mess things up! As you obviously have a good game(or you wouldn't be near single figures) I wouldn't beat yourself up tooo much and step back a bit till your head clears and you get the itch to hit balls again. good luck for the future.

user26342
Reply : Mon 14th Jun 2010 13:59

Chris,

It's a tough game & we all go through spells like this, I'm sure you'll come throught it.

On a sour note I can't condone your behavious, re:walking off, & if you had done it to me I would ask not be paired or even if the same group again.

I think in your position you should be setting an example.

John.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Jun 2010 15:21

I suggest that you are "golfed out" Chris.  On the range everyday then 36 holes shows you are trying to force it and your body is rebelling.  The harder you try to fix it, the worse the problem will be.  I agree with David; take a break for at least a few days, preferably a week.  Don't even do any putting.  Then just take a six iron out on the range and hit a dozen balls.  Bet you strike it much better

user38216
Reply : Mon 14th Jun 2010 16:13

Chris, you clearly know how to play the game. Chill out and go back to basics. Don't let the +2 idiot get the better of you, he has to go through life with that attitude!

user52922
Reply : Mon 14th Jun 2010 16:27

All the matces that I have been involved in from Club league matches to county matches have always ended once the match has finished. Everyone then walks in.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Jun 2010 21:27

That's the ticket Chris.  Give yourself a mental and physical break and come back with a target.  It'll help you to focus

user40826
Reply : Tue 15th Jun 2010 06:50

I went through this at the beginning of this year.  Lost the enjoyment factor of the game - basically I had forgotten why I got hooked on the game in the first place.  I was too screwed up over my score, had a double and then lost the plot - round over.

I took the decision to go out one day and not add up my score till the end - laugh off any crap shots, have a laugh with my playing partner and basically have fun.

It worked. Swing felt better (as I wasn't thinking of mechanics), chipping was crisper and I tried to think "`i'm going to make this putt" every time I got to the green.  Bob Rotella helped with the mental side of putting!

I am now shooting in the late 70's and early 80's and carded my best score of 76 a couple of months ago.

Overall I rediscovered why I started to play this game in the first place.  Maybe you need to. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top