Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Why I Love This Game

Posted by: user9137 | Fri 11th Jun 2010 09:50 | Last Reply
<p>On Wednesday I played with a guy who had a swing like a demented octopus, hit numerous ankle biters and yet we both shot 88. He was really pleased with the score, I on the other hand was left feeling frustrated that I felt I had played far better golf but could not beat him. </p>  <p>One hole in particular sums up why I love this game even though it frustrates the hell out of me. Whitehill Golf Club - 17th - 280yds - par 4 - a ditch runs across the fairway and the green is protected by a small pond. As I was swinging well (as usual) and we had a following wind I went for the green with my driver. I hit the green and the ball ran just through the back into some fluffy stuff. I then chipped back on to 5ft, but missed the putt and so parred the hole. My opponent on the other hand used a 6 iron on the tee to put his ball into the ditch. He then got into the ditch, and chipped out going through the back of the green. He then chipped in for a BIRDIE. &nbsp;</p>  <p>Grrrrr - Golf!</p>  <p>Ian </p>

Last edit : Fri 11th Jun 2010 18:10
re: Why I Love This Game
user217280
Reply : Fri 11th Jun 2010 10:26

I know what you mean Ian I played a match play event a few years ago, I had to give my apponent a shot on the second hole I hit a loverly drive straight down the fairway, he hit his drive into the rough, I then hit a shot on to the green about eight feet from the hole, he hit his second shot in to the rough again to the right of the hole, then he chipped the next shot in and I was 1 down. That is the beauty of the game when you play well you want to go out and play again, and when you play poorly you want to go out and play better , I love it.    

user41192
Reply : Fri 11th Jun 2010 10:47

I love this game because it turns up some real surprises. Played Monday in our 6 strong society for one of our four majors we have running throughout the year. One of my neighbours even ran a book on it.

We were waiting to tee off later in the first round when my partner said something has happened with the other group as cheers were ringing in the air. Turned out that a hole in one had been achieved, so high fives all round!

Second round we decide to let a 2 ball through who were waiting to approach the green we were on. So we were waiting for them on the next tee when in a buggy turns up Ossie Ardilles and Ricky Villa. Handshakes all round and a brief chat and also a signed golf ball which we gave to the hole in one achiever.

You just never know what turns up on the day. As for the bookie, he was £15 down! 

user217280
Reply : Fri 11th Jun 2010 13:50

It goes to show that it is not perfect shots that make a score you just need to cut down on the really bad ones and get it in the hole in the least amount of ok shots, Simples.

user289859
Reply : Fri 11th Jun 2010 14:19

its not how you get there, it is how many yout there for that counts.

I can Par a hole with 3 god awful shots to the green and take one putt, but a par is a par!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top