Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Do you practice before your round?????

Posted by: user278729 | Wed 9th Jun 2010 17:31 | Last Reply

All

I recently lost a bit of confidence with my driving (I am still very early in my golf development) and so had a lesson, where driving was covered.  It was clear I had not been doing things right and any success I had experienced previously was precarious due to poor technique.

Having had the lesson on the Saturday morning, I then played a round a short while later with no more practice and guess what - I couldn't drive!

I have since been down to the driving range several times and my driving with my newly developed and practised technique is better than it has ever been. Slice is rare at the moment.

I played 9 holes today but made sure I hit 25 balls on the range first. I went on the course with confidence and hit great drives.

One of the guys I play regularly likes to go straight on the course with no practise. He lives a couple of doors down and so we travel together to our local course.  Anyway, I'm thinking that I now need to make sure I get a little bit of practice in before I play a round. I think this is essential for me at the moment.

My question is this; what are people's thoughts on practise before playing a round? Do you really do it or are you happy playing 5 minutes after arriving at the course?

I want to develop a good pre-round routine but I don't want to spend forever at the course before teeing off.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy 

re: Do you practice before your round?????
user52922
Reply : Wed 9th Jun 2010 18:14

Personally, Andy, I have been very lazy where practice is concerned, always preferred to play. 

I only swing a few times before starting on the first tee and hope that everything works out. I am not one for practising putting before a round either.

Having said that, if it suits you then do it, by all means.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 9th Jun 2010 18:23

I always like to hit a few balls before I step onto the first tee.

If it's one of our golf club's major competitions I'll be there two hours before.

I like to get there early but I don't go crazy with the number of balls I hit, probably only about 50, with some pitching/chipping practice when collecting them all together.

Then onto the putting green for about ten to fifteen minutes.

Russ

user127691
Reply : Wed 9th Jun 2010 19:50

I like to practice  before a round if possible, mind you if i had played as much golf as John I wouldn't practice either if his swing isn't groovedb y now then it never will.

user40826
Reply : Wed 9th Jun 2010 20:21

I've always been one for warming up before a round, I hate going onto the first tee without warming up.  I agree with  Chris though I never try and change something before a round - just to warm the muscles up, get the right tempo in my swing, hitting to the 100 yard green on the practice area.  

I mainly spend about 20 minutes on the putting green and getting up and down from around the green.  Managed 30 out of 30 on Monday night whilst practising - belter!

All in all its an absolute must for me. 

user278729
Reply : Thu 10th Jun 2010 03:38

John - my neighbour sounds like you... has been playing a long time and doesn't warm up. He doesn't even take a practice swing and always hits the middle of the fairway!

I like the distinction between practicing and warming up. Important for the frame of mind as much as anything. I shall make a quick warming up session a part of my routine. I'm so inconsistent I really need to do this I think.

Thanks for the thoughts, comments and advice.

Andy

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top