Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Which grips?

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 6th Jun 2010 12:28 | Last Reply

I'm about to get my irons regripped and I was wondering what the difference is between the different grips available on the market (multi-compound, cord, tour wrap, etc). 

What should I be looking for and why?  I currently have Lambkin Crossline fitted (standard for the clubs)

re: Which grips?
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 6th Jun 2010 12:54

Chris,

Grips are a personal preference and depend on how you look after them and how your hands are. I tried Full Cord and Half Cord on some clubs but they ripped my hands to pieces. Good in rain but not worth it, became too slippery in the dry. I fould the original Lamkin grips became like soap in rain so they were taken off quick. Anything Leather needs looking after.

I have used 'Victory' grips for years (GV55 at Direct Golf) and find them good in all conditions and do not need a lot of looking after.

Hope this helps.

TheLyth

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 6th Jun 2010 13:25

So it's not a case of a certain type of grip being better suited to a cetain grip strength or playing style then?  Just a case of figuring out the right size for me and then seeing what I like then?

user38216
Reply : Sun 6th Jun 2010 19:43

Chris take a look at Golf Pride DD2s, multi compound but not half cord so they wont rip your hands to bits!

user249845
Reply : Sun 6th Jun 2010 20:25

I have the dd2 grips on my pi7 irons & I have to say they are the best feeling grips I have tried so far, nice & soft. They look pretty good too.

user52922
Reply : Sun 6th Jun 2010 22:55

I'm with Santo, tour wrap for me.

Last edit : Sun 6th Jun 2010 22:55
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 8th Jun 2010 10:58

Took the plunge and had my driver regripped last night.  Got a Golf Pride dual compound fitted to it.  I figured it was worth trying it out and if I didn't like it there was only one club I had to get redone

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 8th Jun 2010 19:05

I've got the Golf Pride Multi-Compound grips on my new clubs.

Not really tried any other grips but I'm happy with the multi-compound grips.

Russ

user77012
Reply : Tue 8th Jun 2010 19:25

Lampkin Tour wraps for me but my maruman blades still have the original rubber grips and are over 20yrs old and I doubt could be bettered.

user52922
Reply : Tue 8th Jun 2010 19:35

Same feel as the Tour wraps though, Eh, Dave.

user77012
Reply : Tue 8th Jun 2010 21:15

Slightly better feel for me John and I'm sure they will still be fine long after my T wraps wear out on my other irons and woods.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top