Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Funny, Old Game!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 6th Jun 2010 10:40 | Last Reply

I played the Priors course last Friday and when I arrived on the 11th tee I was one under par for my handicap.

The 11th hole is a short par five, but the green is an island so it requires a very good drive to have any chance to go for the green in two!

Having played this hole many times I take a three iron then lay-up short of the green.  I'd rather do the three iron, eight iron option than hit my driver and have to lay-up with a gap wedge!

So I'm playing well and the sun is shining.

I take my three iron and hook my golf ball into the rough on the left of the fairway.  After a few harsh words with myself I take a provisional ball, and do exactly the same thing.  Now I'm really annoyed at myself! 

I start walking towards where my golf balls have gone into the rough saying to myself that I'm bound to find one of those two balls!

Withing fifteen seconds of looking I have found my first ball and it's not in a bad position.  It took me a couple more minutes to find my second ball (nobody behind me).

So having found my first golf ball and having a chance to get a full swing at it I'm feeling much better.

Well I hit a pitching wedge out of the rough over a tree in front of me, straight onto the fairway.

Standing at my golf ball I look at my SkyCaddie and it's telling me it's 145 yards to the flag, slightly downhill but with a breeze blowing towards me.  It's a nice, smooth seven iron for me, no need to hit it hard, just a nice, smooth swing.

I hit a great shot (even if I say so myself!), straight at the flag.  The ball landed about ten feet short and took one bounce and ended up about four feet past the flag.

Taking my time with the putt I rolled it into the middle of the cup for a birdie, what a funny, old game golf can be!

So I'm now two under my handicap as I don't get a shot on this hole!

Went on to shoot a 77 (par 70, sss 68) and reduced my handicap by 0.6

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top