Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Lesson Disaster!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 29th May 2010 17:55 | Last Reply

Had my first golf lesson for about five months this morning.

I've only left it this long as it's been difficult to tie down the golf pro but I got there eventually!

My golf game hasn't been too good lately, playing OK but just not scoring!!!

So I turned up this morning for my lesson only to find out that I couldn't hit a thing.

It turns out that I've gradually started to swing the golf club further and further around my body.

So the pro puts me right and I start to swing the golf club on the correct plane, only to find out that I then cannot get a good contact with the ball!

This is not good news as I had arranged for my matchplay singles game to take place this afternoon.

When I have a golf lesson I always stay on after for about an hour just to continue with what I've been taught.  So I continued to do what the pro had shown me and it started to come together.

At the end of the session I was back to swinging the club on the correct plane and striking the ball really well.

I was playing a guy who plays off an eight handicap and lost my matchplay singles 2 up, but not too sad.  I played well enough and he played well below his handicap.

More practice required I think and maybe I shouldn't book a golf lesson on the day of a competition!

Russ

re: Golf Lesson Disaster!
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 29th May 2010 20:37

Lee, it will work out for me as from previous experience of having lessons it always does.

The problem I had was getting a lesson booked with my pro.

I knew something wasn't right so had to get in and get it sorted.

The lesson probably didn't affect my game, might have even help, the disaster was the fact that I couldn't hit the ball once he had made the change!

Luckily for me I had the time to practice and it came together by the end of the session.

Russ

user278729
Reply : Sun 30th May 2010 09:09

Russell

Your post is a good kick up the backside for me!  I started playing golf last November (I did actually hack a bit before but had a 12 year break!). I had a few lessons before Christmas and since about February/March this year have been getting out on the course more regularly. I have been seeing my handicap come down recently and hope to both consolidate and continue with that trend.

I've been nervous about going and getting more lessons since I'm paranoid that I'm going to undo things and upset my game.  However, if a bloke with your handicap isn't afraid to have lessons then I reckon I should get booked in. I suppose I have a lot more to gain than lose....

Only other thing though is knowing which pro.  There are a lot about and I hear mixed reviews.  Any tips on how to find/select a good pro??

Thanks,

Andy 

Reply : Sun 30th May 2010 21:20

I take it all back!

Played in the Jubilee Cup today and won my match 6 & 4, was dormie 7.

Hitting everything much straighter than before and my pitching, chipping and putting was on fire.

The lesson certainly got me back on track.

Russ

Reply : Sun 30th May 2010 21:22

Andy, even the pro's have lessons!

They might not call it lessons, but that's what a coach does.

I use the pro at my golf club but if you ask the people you have played golf with about the pro they have used, then you should be able to get a good idea of which ones to avoid.

Russ

user278729
Reply : Sun 30th May 2010 21:50

Thanks Russ.  Good idea.  I think now would be a good time to get some more help. I would like to see the handicap get down to a solid 20 this year but I also want to ensure I have technique to improve beyond that.

Andy

user78137
Reply : Thu 24th Jun 2010 22:23

Hi all

After struggling through our winter league this season, only wining my first match & getting thrashed by everyone there after.  Dsapointed & peed off.  My wife decided to by some lessons for me for our anniversary!!

had three lesons with a pro I already knew from the past. felt really awkward what he was trying to change in my swing.

Then after some practice, like you Russell I spend around an hour at least after the lesson practicing, feeling the difference & so making it more natural.

Three matches on trot whipped eberyones backsides, handicaps cut by nearlt 2 shots & ready for more.

Get a good pro, trust him, they know best & practice what he preaches.

well worth the time & money 100%

user217280
Reply : Fri 25th Jun 2010 11:23

When ever I have a lesson I practice on the range and don't score for the next couple of rounds, so I can just focus totally on the swing changes, once I feel the changes have become more natural, then I will start to score again, you need to focus totally on the changes, I think if you concentrate to much about the score you will not stick to the changes and will go back to your old habits 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top