Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My Drive

Posted by: user250721 | Sun 23rd May 2010 21:56 | Last Reply

I'll keep this very simple.

My drive hook, horribly, right.....EVERY time.
I aim so far left now just so it will end up ok!

Any advice?? Or anyone had the same problem?

Probably a quick fix but I cant seem to find it.

re: My Drive
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 23rd May 2010 22:01

Aim straight down the middle of the fairway and swing smoothly, don't hit at the ball!

Russ

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 23rd May 2010 22:05

I presume you are left-handed?

Classic problem here, in trying to solve a bad shot, you make it worse. By aiming further left, it mostly makes the ball go further right.

IDIOTS WAY TO STOP A SLICE - try and slice it. Same with a hook, check your alignments and you should see an improvement.

TheLyth

user250721
Reply : Sun 23rd May 2010 22:14

Just for the record I'm right handed.

user250721
Reply : Mon 24th May 2010 10:26

Thanks for all the sound advice guys! I'll definitely be out on the range before saturdays round!

user250721
Reply : Sun 6th Jun 2010 19:03

Guys....

Just want to say thanks for all the advice...

Went out today for the first time in a few weeks and hitting my drive straight and longer 90% of the time!

Unbelievable the difference this has made to my game!!

Thanks again!

user38216
Reply : Sun 6th Jun 2010 19:41

Hit my best ever yesterday...324 yards. Club face nice and open, smashed down the middle. (yes I made par)!!

Trying to cure a problem by aiming further away from your intended target is a recipe for disaster as hitting across the ball creates side spin, a bit like kicking a football with the inside or outside of your foot.

user52922
Reply : Sun 6th Jun 2010 23:29

Greg probably does not understand the theory of the game so does not understand when any advice is good or not.

user52922
Reply : Mon 7th Jun 2010 10:00

Greg, there are many PGA pros who have never played the circuit yet have learnt how to teach a certain method, when we all know that there are many ways to achieve the same thing.

Indeed the object of the game is to get the little white thing into the hole in as few shots as possible. Perhaps if you did decide to study the many theories on this game you would be able to significantly reduce that handicap of yours. Not really complicated hey?

Knowledge is an invaluable tool.

Last edit : Mon 7th Jun 2010 11:18
user250721
Reply : Mon 7th Jun 2010 10:17

Wow.....I only came back on here to thanks the people for the advice as its help my game out so much!

user127691
Reply : Mon 7th Jun 2010 12:25

The problem is that from the information provided it is near impossible for anyone to give good advice. I'm not having a go at Matt for his original post he asked a sensible question and as a beginer is proably not aware of the multitude of sins that could be causing a slice.

The one point that was a clear indication of a fault was the original posts from the lyth and santo in respect to the fact an open stance is going to promote an in to out swing so aiming further left is going to amplify the problem but this information was provided. Steve Cowel offered a tips page which may help, but without anyone seeing this guy hit the ball the only advice available are broad generalistations for curing a slice and as Mr Petit says frequently there is more than one way to skin a cat so what works for one doesn't work for another.

The only advice to someone like this is see a pro or post a video for people to look at and then people can give advice. The best advice is not just the correct way of doing things but advice on why it is done that way, it is impossible to play good golf without undertsrtanding YOUR swing otherwise how do you correct a little glitch during a round for instance there isn't a pro there to save you and tell you exactly what is happening.

user52922
Reply : Mon 7th Jun 2010 13:02

Gary I suggest that you change promote an in to out swing to promote an out to in swing. easily done though.

Golf teaching today is based on the principle of repetition, which, although admirable in itself, only promotes a small variation in shotmaking ability.

Personally I prefer the older style of using flair and imagination in conjuring up a shot for the occasion. In fact one of my favourite shots with a driver was an open stance draw.

When I practice, although very rarely these days, I always run through attempting to produce the nine different ways of producing a golf shot.

This is basically attempting to hit the ball with a low fade, a normal trajectory fade and then a high fade repeating this for producing a draw as well as the hardest shot in golf, a straight shot.

Learning how to hold a ball into a severe cross wind by either drawing into it or fading into it is another skill that only practice can produce.

By doing this one learns all about ball position and trajectories, which should stand anyone in good stead to progress in this fine game. It is not just mechanical.

How many of you have really studied what one can achieve with a golf club when the knowledge is available. How many of you really wish to progress in this wonderful game, or is it just a social thing to enjoy with your mates, as it seems to appear to me these days.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top