Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Would you?

Posted by: user93554 | Sun 23rd May 2010 20:54 | Last Reply

Just had my best round for about 5 years, shot a 2 over 73 at the Kent and Surrey Golf Club,

Very happy with the way I played although funny enough I left at least 5 shots out there on the front nine.

My question is this though....I bogeyed the tough 17 with a mishit drive in the ditch then good play to save the bogey to go form 1 under to even par.  The 18th is drivable but a bit tight...a proper risk/reward hole.  I was even par through 17 but decided to go for it as I thought I would spend a long time regretting playing safe, when I could have the chance to have a putt for a 69!

Of course the end result was a tired swing and a cut into the right trees, a good pitch that took a horrible bounce into the bunker and two shots to get out followd by two putts for a double!!

I still don't regret the choice off the tee (although the execution I do), and I am dissapointed to leave the first one in the bunker so I did not have the chance to putt for a par round.

Anyway, what would you have done?

re: Would you?
user52922
Reply : Sun 23rd May 2010 20:59

Exactly the same, Andrew and have done so many times. Sometimes it pays off, other times it kicks you in the teeth. That is this wonderful game for you.

Nice round of golf nevertheless.

user77012
Reply : Sun 23rd May 2010 21:02

If It was just a knock I wouuld have done the same , a comp probably not, Still a good round though don't envy any one playing in todays heat.

user93554
Reply : Sun 23rd May 2010 21:20

Thanks guys, that vindicates my thoughts.

Yeah I was pretty pleased with the way I played, have not hit it that well for a while.  Hit 10 of 13 fairways and 14 greens which is really good for me.  Hopefully next time I can go into the last with a few shots up my sleeve.

And you are right about the heat, it was pretty draining.

user16106
Reply : Mon 24th May 2010 12:48

Andrew

Ive played kent & surrey a few times and there,s not many easy holes out there. Thats an excellent round. You say you left a few shots back on the front 9. You hit every green! Did you miss a few easy putts? You obviously hit the ball a mile with your driver?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Mon 24th May 2010 13:06

David, having seen Andrew hit a ball I can vouch that he does hit it a mile. A strong man indeed.

user93554
Reply : Mon 24th May 2010 14:42

It was not so much the length as the direction off the tee on Sunday, for a change I was keeping it on the short stuff!

To be fair the fairways are pretty generous there, and I had pretty good course management for a change (aside from the last two holes perhaps!). The front 9 was an exercise in frustration, I birdied the 1st, on the 3rd I hit a rope hook 4 iron around the corner (planned) and a 6 iron pin high just left of the green. A poor pitch and missed the 10 foot birdie putt for a tap in par.

Lipped out on the next from 8 feet, on the 5th I drive pin high just left of the green. Another poor pitch (from 2 yards off the green) left me downhill 12 foot slider that just missed on the high side.

The par 5 6th I hit driver (missed fairway right) and had to cut a 4 iron around the trees that ran 2 yards though the back of the green, but had about 10 yards to the pin with loads of green to work with. Yet another bad chip left me a 10 footer that I missed. The par 3 7th I thought I had holed out, got to the green and saw the ball was 3 feet short…conned myself out of the putt made a poor par!!

Duffed a rescue club on the par 5 8th when in a good position to reach the green in two and had to settle for another par. On the 9th after a good tee shot to middle of the fairway within 110 of the pin I managed to hit a half shank sand wedge into the front bunker (was lucky not to be in the water!) so was not a bad bogey.

Did not have so many chances on the back 9 (it is a bit harder) but hit most of the greens an had lots of putts for birdie, albeit mist from 15-20 foot. Hit a good 3 wood off the tee on the 13th, 9 iron to the back of the green 20 foot away and stood over the putt and though “haven’t had a 3 putt yet….” duly left it 6 ft short and missed the next! Eagled the par 5 14th to get back to even par…then 2 straight pars before ruining the finish!!

If I had your short game John I would have shot 63.....

Last edit : Mon 24th May 2010 21:08

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top