Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Another Ruling Please

Posted by: user266147 | Sun 23rd May 2010 10:15 | Last Reply

This might be quite a simple one for you guys, but it caught both myself and my playing partner out yesterday.

Firstly, if the ball comes to rest in a tree, can it be played from there? In this case there were light pines holding a ball about shoulder height so it could have been reached from the ground on a horizonal plane.

Now, if that tree is staked whats the situation, is it a free drop of is it a penalty drop?

re: Another Ruling Please
user52922
Reply : Sun 23rd May 2010 10:45

Yes you can play the ball from the tree, although I cannot see the advantage myself

If the tree is staked then a free drop is permissable, this would be a local rule though.

re: Another Ruling Please
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 23rd May 2010 14:03

This is yet another question where part of the answer can be got from reading the back of the Card. I am very surprized by the number of times I hear that players don't obtain a Card before playing, nor read the Local Rules if they do.

A quick look at the Local Rules printed on the back of the Card will tell you things like:-

1. Are Stones in Bunkers moveable obstruction on this course?

2. Are all Out of Bounds Posts (White) in use on ALL Holes?

3. What status are Staked Trees, Paths and Bridges?

4. What are Integral parts of this course?

And any other information that may save shots.

In this case a ball lodged in a tree can be played, remember Bernard Langer on the 17th at Fulford GC during The Benson & Hedges. If the tree is staked and classed as an immovable obstruction you get a free relief.

TheLyth 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top