Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

driver dilemma please help

Posted by: user262865 | Thu 20th May 2010 10:25 | Last Reply

right ive always had a problem with my driver where i can go through periods where i never miss a fairway till periods of not being able to find a fairway and my distance was not great so after having a taylor made tour burner for 6 months which i was striking decent but not the longest i made the decision to get a new driver. first i bought the r9 tp but after trying it at the range hated it and sold it straight away. i went back the burner for a couple of weeks and then curiousity got the better of me again and i got my local pro to knock my up a MD superstrong Ti 460 2010 with senior flex shaft to see if the extra flex would get me some extra distance but it didnt really so that was another £100 wasted (well 50 by the time i sold it on a week later. lol)

then i took a shine to my bro's nike sq dymo and took that off his hands as  i was hitting it straight as an arrow but when i got out to the course i realised it was shorter than my other drivers were hitting it and noticed it was hl so i went and got the 9.5 deg version and by this stage my wife was looking at me shaking her head for some reason.lol

anyway i couldnt hit it at first but this last week i started hitting it better although with a slight draw and when i went to practice at 6 this morning on the first hole of my local course i noticed betwen my shortest drives and longest drives there was a minimum of 60 yards difference. i was just thinking more practice was the order of the day when a guy ive seen about there said "try this" and handed me a taylor made r7 superquad with a stiff shaft. before i took it i said i wont be able to hit that as ive been told my swing speed is too slow for a stiff shaft, however when i took it in my hands and did my wee waggle and wrist cocking motion i knew i was gonna hit a great shot as it just felt so right in my hands like i couldnt mishit it and sure enough i hit it straight as an arrow and it came up just 5 yards short of my longest drive of the morning which was also my longest drive ever on that hole and about 20 yards further than all the others i had also hit with my own driver. however i hit another 15 balls with this guys driver and every one went straight as an arrow and landed the exact same distance just 5 yards short of my best ever drive. i was absolutely flabbergasted at how easy it was and wondered why. then i noticed the shaft was about an inch shorter than mine. which would explain why ive been struggling for so long with all these drivers because im not the tallest so ive probably been lacking control due to the length of the shaft. also i was always told a stiff shaft was a no no for slow swingers so why was i hitting this so great.

anyway sorry for waffling on there but what i want to know is, after failing to persuade the guy to let me buy his driver is there anything i can do to get a shorter shaft on my own driver or is it a case of buying a new driver. ive heard people talk about cutting them, is this feasible and whats the craic with the swing weight then. i cant ever go back to all the struggling ive been doing after seeing how easy driver is to hit when you have one that fits you

Last edit : Thu 20th May 2010 10:29
re: driver dilemma please help
user24437
Reply : Thu 20th May 2010 11:54

Couple of points in that lot David.

Sounds like it's the way you're hitting the driver that's at fault rather than the driver itself - I wouldn't mind betting that you're actually trying to take the skin off the ball rather than using the natural characteristics of the club, and a slight obsession with the distance sort of confirms that.  Slow down, use the shaft flex to do the work.

Get in touch with Dave Ley, he'll sort out your club.  Did mine (an MD Superstrong Ti460 with a prolaunch blue shaft) and it's brilliant.  

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 20th May 2010 13:22

I will say two things David

• Get fitted.  Especially if you are outside of the average height/build/swing speed range.  You won't regret it
  • Always, always, always try before you buy.  If they won't let you try it, go somewhere else
  •  

user38216
    Reply : Thu 20th May 2010 18:27

Lower loft does not necessarily mean less distance. The right shaft combination is key. I use a 13 degree driver and its the best thing Ive ever bought

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top