Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Grips

Posted by: user127691 | Mon 17th May 2010 19:25 | Last Reply

I need to change my grips and have noticed on a lot of new clubs three is a ridge on the rear of the grips where the top hand sits.

Does anyone know if this is in the grip part of the shaft or just something in the tape below. I want to achieve this in my new grips but am pretty sure this is nothing to do with the grip itself so am wondering how to do it.

re: Grips
user77012
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 19:44

Gary it is in the grip they are known as ribbed girps its a reminder to locate your hands in the same place on the grip consistantly.

user127691
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 20:15

Any ides where to get them from? Everywhere or anyone I have asked have looked at me like my head has fallen off

user52922
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 20:19

Those grips are really only a gimmick, Gary, not forgetting that the groove will only fit in one place to be comfortable and that may not necessarily be the correct place for the left hand in your case.

user127691
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 20:26

True John but I wouldn't mind trying one on the 7 iron for a while just to see how they feel. I know every time I pick up a new set of clubs in a shop just lately they seem to have the ridge on and it feels quiet nice, but that may just because they are attached to a shiny new golf club.

user127691
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 21:56

I assume then they come at another additional cost on top I will have to have a good look round to see if it is an experiment worth the exspence.

user115085
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 22:06

Try Gamola - they usually carry the ribbed Golf Pride v55 ones.

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Golf_Pride_V55_Full_Cord_Golf_Grips.html

cheap too!

user77012
Reply : Tue 18th May 2010 00:36

Untill ribbed grips were made Hogan used a coat hanger wire under his grips set at 5 o'clock looking down the grip, With his grip this  would always leave the club sitting open, and Nick Price would have his set at 7 o'clock . Gary I would suggest being there when you have them fitted to see if they are in a position you like . You won't need them on your wedges.

Last edit : Tue 18th May 2010 19:41
user26342
Reply : Tue 18th May 2010 13:38

Dave, would that have been legal? Wouldn't they have been changing the characteristics of the club?

Also are the ribbed grips similar to the training aids you can fit on a club?

All this talk of ribbed & smooth is making me feel frisky

user77012
Reply : Tue 18th May 2010 19:45

Wasn't illegal then or now John, it would be illegal if say you pulled out the wire during a round that would be deemed as altering the club. So is removing shaft bands if they are hanging off petty as it seems.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top