Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Where has my Ball Striking gone?

Posted by: user15152 | Sun 16th May 2010 17:06 | Last Reply

Well since my great round of Golf a fortnight ago, I seem to have lost my way abit. I'm struggling with my Irons presently not striking them at all.

Played 36 holes yesterday a Matchplay Knockout then a County League Match and I can countt the number of Iron Shots I hit correctly on 1 hand = 0.

Can't work it out. My Wood Game is solid. My Wedge game was great, striking pitches and chips so much better then I ever have. Yet with my Irons I'm getting such a clunky contact. Got a bit of magic impact tape on them today during my lunch break and noticed I'm hitting the ball more with the sole of the club then the face and off the toe side of the middle. That would explain the clunky sound as its obviously a bad pretty clean contact and the toe side means club twisting and distance nevermind direction loss.

It's just confusing me that I'm still hitting my Wedges solid and make correct strikes with them, taking little divots after the ball and was pinseeking all day yesterday with those.

Do I have a swing fault with my Irons or is there fault somewhere in the Equipment? My Cleveland Wedges are now quit a bit different spec from my Titleist Irons. 1/2" Shorter and 2 Degrees Flatter, also shaft in the Clevelands is much softer. But then again am I just swinging my Irons somewhere in no man's land between a Wood and a Wedge?

Last edit : Sun 16th May 2010 17:07
re: Where has my Ball Striking gone?
user52922
Reply : Sun 16th May 2010 17:41

I very much doubt it is a swing fault, Chris or you would not be able to hit your woods and your wedges so accurately,because no matter what you may think, one swings the club in a personal way and it never varies.

What can vary is ball position and alignment and I would suggest that you concentrate your efforts getting set up correctly, then swing your natural swing. I am quite sure you will be back to hitting like you have been recently.

user16106
Reply : Tue 18th May 2010 12:28

Steve

Is there a handicap limit on the amateur event ?

Cheers Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user16106
Reply : Tue 18th May 2010 22:36

Steve only spaces left this year are in Scotland, Maybe next year for me. What events if any are you playing in?

Chris I had a look at your 7 iron swing and to me it looks pretty good, nice and smooth.

I might try to upload my swing and give you lot a good laugh. You would think its a miracle I hit the ball with my swing.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user16106
Reply : Fri 21st May 2010 22:22

Chris, 2 questions.

1. How did you adjust to start hitting good 4 irons of the fairway? As this is i'm sure a very difficult shot for mid to high hcap.

2 I looked at your stats and saw you have had a very rare allbertross. How did that go?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user25349
Reply : Fri 21st May 2010 22:48

I bet its something like driver off the tee then driver off the deck and holed out that approach...

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top