Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Too Much Spin

Posted by: user9137 | Sat 15th May 2010 18:56 | Last Reply

I played in my club`s singles matchplay competition today. I had a really good match against a low handicapper. We were tied together all square standing on the 16th tee. we both hit good drives and good second shots. I then hit a superb wedge into the green, the only problem was that I hit it too well - it landed inches from the pin and then spun back at least 20ft. My opponent went on to win the hole and subsequently the match one up. The annoying thing is that I never spin the ball back, so how on earth did I manage to do it on this occasion?

Ian

re: Too Much Spin
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 15th May 2010 18:58

You must have hit the ball correctly, or you hit a spot on the green that made your ball spin more than it would have done normally!

Russ

user9137
Reply : Sat 15th May 2010 19:05

Hi Russ

When I said that I never spin the ball I meant that it usually takes 1or 2 little hops and then stops. I just never manage to spin a ball back 20ft on a perfectly flat green.

Ian

user52922
Reply : Sat 15th May 2010 19:16

Well, Ian, today you did and it cost you the match. Even the pro's don't like it spinning back as they have no control over the amount of spin back they are likely to get. They all play for one bounce and check.

Last edit : Sat 15th May 2010 19:20
user9137
Reply : Sat 15th May 2010 19:23

Hi John

I did not mean my post to sound as if I was moaning - it`s just that I was amazed at the amount of back spin I generated and cannot work out just how I managed to do it.

Ian

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 15th May 2010 19:36

A very clean, ball first strike on the downswing.  Basically, you caught it too well.

user9137
Reply : Sun 16th May 2010 10:27

Mystery solved!!!

My son phoned me to say that he was talking to someone at the club and they said youre Dad was unlucky, Ive never seen that happen before. It turns out that I landed the ball in the actual cup and the plastic bottom acted as a spring and fired the ball back out again.

I just knew I could not get that much spin on the ball!

Ian

Last edit : Sun 16th May 2010 21:09

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top