Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Which Club?

Posted by: user293240 | Thu 13th May 2010 12:57 | Last Reply

So the obvious way apart from being on here and having lessons is to play more. Here is my quandry...

Do I join the club just up the road that I am likely to visit very often but the course isnt all that but to be fair the price does reflect this.

or........

Do I join a course that is much more of a pain in the butt to get to, more expensive (a big strectch but do-able ish), better equiped (range and seperate practice area) and a bit harder to play.

You thoughts and suggestions are most welcome

re: Which Club?
user129155
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 13:07

whats the point in joining a crappy course that you wont enjoy playing?

i wouldnt bother unless it was a course thats really nice.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 14:19

I would have to agree with Stephen - join the nicer course, you wont regret it!

user109604
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 15:14

Matt how far are you away from either Wickham Park or Cams Hall? both are in the crown network and would be worth a look if not to far.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 19:18

This all depends on how serious about your golf you are!

If you just want to play more golf and hopefully get a little better along the way then join the club that is nearest to you.  This way you'll be able to nip up there and play nine holes, etc, when you can.

Join the better club so that you can use their practice facilities if you want to get your handicap down.

I really like Toot Hill GC but it's a thirty minute drive to get there, so if I wanted to practice for two hours I'd have to allow three hours to do it.  My golf club is only two and a half miles from my door (five minute drive) and has a decent practice area.  So there is no choice for me, it's got to be where I am a member now.

Hope this helps.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 20:43

I feel that the main criteria for choosing a club is the quality of the greens. It is a waste of time playing any course where it is very difficult to hole putts because of the poor surface.

One can only develop a good putting stroke on a good surface.

user77012
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 20:50

I agree JP....and don't discount how friendly the club is and wether it has a good social side.

Oh, an anothing thing if they don't sell Guiness they ain't worth a light!!

Last edit : Thu 13th May 2010 20:51

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top