Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What Stats Would You Like to See or Track ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 12th May 2010 11:37 | Last Reply

Just read this great post on tracking scores to improve your handicap and obviously I could wax lyrical on reasons for using Golfshake to improve your golf but won't

The 2010 updates are due to be released very soon with some updates to the Score Tracking and Analysis engine and before I release this it would be great to hear from anyone with any specific requests.  

Any stats you would like to see added like 'Putts per GIR' 

or anything extra to track like 'Driving Distance'

feel free to post back, complete the survey to give indepth thoughts or email me at darren at golfshake.com

re: What Stats Would You Like to See or Track ?
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 12th May 2010 17:09

The main stats for me are Greens In Regulation and Number Of Putts, if these are low then you'll be scoring well.

After that you need the Fairway In Regulation, and if you didn't hit the fairway then Missed Left and Missed Right.

Then when you approach the green you need GIR, and once again if you were Short, Long, Missed Left or Missed Right.

Each of these will give you an idea of what is your main problem, for instance, if you are missing the green short most of the time you know you need to take an extra club next time!

Russ

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 12th May 2010 17:18

First putt length.  I generally find that my putting stats are wholly dependent on how good my short game has been.  If I'm getting it close and one putting, it's due to my short game.  If I two or even three putt, it's generally down to how far my first putt was from the hole.  This becomes more important if you are playing on big and/or tricky greens

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 12th May 2010 20:58

Chris, might be coming soon

Russ, I also think Putts per GIR is key and something that's been fed in recently but not promoted.  Also for FIR do you think it's key to know if 'hit, left, right, duff/short'  and mainly because you mentioned it previously whether a miss is within light rough or thick right ? ie first/second cut ?

Reply : Wed 12th May 2010 21:15

Darren, I do think it is worth knowing which side of the fairway you are ending up at, as this could help you to aim better to try and hit the fairway.

Not really bothered about how far off the fairway I am so being in deep rough or just off the fairway is still a missed fairway to me.

The software I use lets me put in the following:

FIR Yes/No/Left/Right/Nothing (I think the nothing is for when you might not reach the fairway!!!)

GIR Yes/short/long/left/Right

Sand saves Yes/No

Driving distance

Number of putts

Number of penalties

Russ

user11501
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 08:42

I would like to see a stat on "Up and Down" as there are potentially a lot of shots either saved or lost depending on how your short game is.

This is something my coach/pro has asked if i can get as it is the weakest part of my game at the moment.

On a related note, I have used various prints and stats from GS with my Pro and he was impressed and has helped him get an idea of other areas in my game we may need to work on.

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 08:51

They would be called par scrambles, Martin, in the software that I use and I assume Russ is using the same. Far more comprehensive than Golfshake, but then it has to be paid for.

Also, for those who cannot remember, one can print oujt a sheet for entering all the different criteria as one goes round the course and then it is easy to do the input to the software when one gets home

user296558
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 18:49

Hi Darren,

Got a round recorder from you guys when I joined last week - which is far better than the standard filling out yourself of Fairway tick or X, GIR tick or X and Putts.

I would like a card like this that I could print off from somewhere - and I can record seperately first cut left, second cut right and so on plus the up and down stats when just off the green (i.e pitch save as opposed to sand save).

I can sometimes hit 3/4 first cuts (1 m off fairway) but technically this is a fairway missed and makes my stats look poor as im a stickler for not cheating.

cheers

lee

Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 19:20

I'm not that bothered about how far wide of the fairway I am, the ball is either on the fairway or it's not!

Although I don't hit that many fairways in regulation, most of my missed fairways are less than ten yards from the edge of the fairway.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 19:27

Fairways in regulation is a meaningless statistic. All that is important is whether or not you have hit it (a) Far enough (b) to a position that is the best for making the shot to the green, even if it is off the fairway.

user77012
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 21:10

How long it takes the guy on the green to take 4 putts from 3ft, line each one up,mark his card  and walk back to his bag he left at the front of the green......arrrrrrrrrrgh!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 14th May 2010 14:03

Lee nothing wrong with being a stickler.  Let a 2 ball through yesterday at a course and the chap it his drive dead centre bent down to pick up his tee and didn't see if bounce right and look like it had run OOB.  We advised him and he duly took a provisional to be safe.  Upon getting to his first ball he was no more then 2 inches Out of Bounds. How many amateurs would just have played it rather than the provisional !!

Guys, thanks for info.  Stats are always subjective and open to an individuals interpretation.

Thanks again., Darren. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 19th May 2010 13:30

Another question given the up/down and par scramble comments.

The tours refer to these as:

Scramble - missing the green in regulation but making par or better

Up and Down - off the green but getting up and down in 2 strokes

Do you guys want both ? obviously the system can calculate these for you and don't require marking during the round. 

I can see the benefit of up and down for low handicaps, which is similar to 'birdie chances made' but for mid/high handicaps up and down is subjective. 

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 19th May 2010 14:58

Some interesting thing here. I still track my game as a Scratch Golfer and take a number of issues from what is already there.

If I MISSED a fairway, did I make the GIR?

How often do I miss a GIR and 2putt?

It's all down to how you use the Stats, how many high HCp's think a scratch player should hit more than 75% FIR's and 80-85% GIR's?

I think that a good addition would be the facility to add your own Stat, what ever it may be.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top